SSRS - Custom Control to upload a File (File Upload Button) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a immediate help on the following scenario in SQL Server Reporting services 2005. We asked to create a report that would also export a existing file resides on the server (not export option on report manager). Is there anyway to create a custom control to upload a file using the SSRS. when we run the report, the report should ask for "File Upload" button and when we click on that custom button, the report should be able to upload a file.

If there is a way, please kindly help with the custom code also.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Sundarrajan.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 2:49 AM

Answers

• Not possible in RS itself. Please try to create your own custom application and display report using report viewer.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 4:03 AM
  • The scenrio you described in not possible in reporting serivces.
    I would say to use Asp.net to create some application as per your need.
    You can refer to this article as example for upload control.
     http://www.dotnetheaven.com/UploadFile/prathore/FileUpload05102007062945AM/FileUpload.aspx

~~ Mark it as Answer if you find it correct~~
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 5:43 AM
  • Hi,

I have a immediate help on the following scenario in SQL Server Reporting services 2005. We asked to create a report that would also export a existing file resides on the server (not export option on report manager). Is there anyway to create a custom control to upload a file using the SSRS. when we run the report, the report should ask for "File Upload" button and when we click on that custom button, the report should be able to upload a file.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Sundarrajan.

Hi,

I think this would be possible to do with the custom code. Write a custom code which will ask the enduser to upload a file, now on the button click event on the upload screen, you should be able to write a code which call the RSS file(reports deployment utilltiy) and should pick the file selected and upload to report server.

I haven't tried it out myself, but this could be one way of doing it. As I am not good at writing vb.net or C# I will not be able to provide the custom code for the same.
    Raju
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 5:59 AM
  • There is also another way. use your code reference (classes) options and create some class to do it so. which will be as equivalent as said by raju and this you can use it across any reports that comes under the project.

Much simpler if you use the asp.net page where you embed ur report in report viewer and also your custom code to export the file.
    Regards, KarthikShanth.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:39 AM

All replies

• Not possible in RS itself. Please try to create your own custom application and display report using report viewer.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 4:03 AM
  • The scenrio you described in not possible in reporting serivces.
    I would say to use Asp.net to create some application as per your need.
    You can refer to this article as example for upload control.
     http://www.dotnetheaven.com/UploadFile/prathore/FileUpload05102007062945AM/FileUpload.aspx

~~ Mark it as Answer if you find it correct~~
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 5:43 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Sundarrajan.

Hi,

I think this would be possible to do with the custom code. Write a custom code which will ask the enduser to upload a file, now on the button click event on the upload screen, you should be able to write a code which call the RSS file(reports deployment utilltiy) and should pick the file selected and upload to report server.

I haven't tried it out myself, but this could be one way of doing it. As I am not good at writing vb.net or C# I will not be able to provide the custom code for the same.
    Raju
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 5:59 AM
  • There is also another way. use your code reference (classes) options and create some class to do it so. which will be as equivalent as said by raju and this you can use it across any reports that comes under the project.

Much simpler if you use the asp.net page where you embed ur report in report viewer and also your custom code to export the file.
    Regards, KarthikShanth.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:39 AM