Is there incremental backup taken the DMA tool for the on-premise to AZURE SQL Database migration.? RRS feed

• Question

• We have doing on-prem to azure sql PaaS using DMA tool.so in this migration.. DMA (Data Migration Assistant )tool not taken incremental backup.could you please help me, how can we taken incremental backups using DMA ??
    • Moved by vikranth s Wednesday, December 6, 2017 7:44 PM Better suited here
    Wednesday, December 6, 2017 1:01 PM

All replies

• We are doing migration from on Premise SQL Server to Azure SQL Databases, and for migrating database they are using the Microsoft Data Migration Assistant Tool.
    The Microsoft DMA tool is taking more time to migrate on premise SQL Server Database to Azure SQL Database. client takes Full backup and Incremental Backups from current on premise SQL Server and trying to restore it to Azure SQL Database.

While restoring Incremental Backup, they are getting the “Table is empty” error.
    So how can the Incremental backups are restored? Is it supported on Azure SQL Database?
    Wednesday, December 6, 2017 1:05 PM
  • Hi Pramod F,

>>So how can the Incremental backups are restored? Is it supported on Azure SQL Database?

I’m not quite sure what you are seeing now. During my test, I could find any ‘Incremental backups’ option in DMA tool, so exactly where did you see it? And the traditional backup/restore will not work on Azure SQL Database, as it does not support BACKUP/RESTORE operations. That’s a major difference between SQL Server and Azure SQL Database.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 7, 2017 3:09 AM