VS 2010 asking to convert solution already in 2010 format? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a solution that I work on via VS 2010 all the time.  The solution and associated projects were checked into TFS source control and a coworker downloaded the solution and associated projects by double clicking on the solution file in the Source Control explorer via VS 2010.  We both have the same version number: Version 10.0.30319.1 RTMRel

Immediately after all of the files for the solution and projects are downloaded, VS prompts with the project conversion wizard before it will open the solution.  Why is this happening?  Both of our machines appear to be running the same version of VS 2010.

Thanks,

Paul

Friday, February 10, 2012 2:45 PM

Answers

• Hi pkoanui,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.
    Your question seems to like this, “Why does Visual Studio 2010 convert my projects?”  So could you please refer to this article?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2010/03/15/why-does-visual-studio-2010-convert-my-projects.aspx
    The blog name is “Why does Visual Studio 2010 convert my projects”.
    It states these below
    1.What is round-tripping?
    2.There are two key problems when trying to address round-tripping of projects and solutions between versions of Visual Studio:
         a.Correctly handling projects, solutions and the files they reference when operating in a newer environment.
         b.Any changes that may be required in the older version of VS to support upgraded file round-tripping and to offer an appropriate user experience where files have been modified (or even upgraded).
    For your solution, we do not know the details. So there are so many reasons. Maybe your settings of .NET are incorrect. Anyway, I think you can check your project settings to find the reason out.

Best regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Edited by Barry Wang Monday, February 13, 2012 6:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Barry Wang Monday, February 20, 2012 9:50 AM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 6:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Paul, are you able to reproduce this issue even with a newly created solution in VS 2010?
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 4:46 AM
  • Hi pkoanui,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.
    Your question seems to like this, “Why does Visual Studio 2010 convert my projects?”  So could you please refer to this article?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2010/03/15/why-does-visual-studio-2010-convert-my-projects.aspx
    The blog name is “Why does Visual Studio 2010 convert my projects”.
    It states these below
    1.What is round-tripping?
    2.There are two key problems when trying to address round-tripping of projects and solutions between versions of Visual Studio:
         a.Correctly handling projects, solutions and the files they reference when operating in a newer environment.
         b.Any changes that may be required in the older version of VS to support upgraded file round-tripping and to offer an appropriate user experience where files have been modified (or even upgraded).
    For your solution, we do not know the details. So there are so many reasons. Maybe your settings of .NET are incorrect. Anyway, I think you can check your project settings to find the reason out.

Best regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Edited by Barry Wang Monday, February 13, 2012 6:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Barry Wang Monday, February 20, 2012 9:50 AM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 6:29 AM
  • I consistently see this, particularly after getting the latest VS2010 SP1 updates, and installing the Oracle VS developer tools.  I've seen this one each new machine that I set up for development and the only workaround appears to let the conversion happen, and then undo all of the inevitable TFS checkouts.

I have done the following:

a.)  compare of local workspace SLN to latest  [they come out the same]

b.)  forced and overwrite of all local files with "Get Specific Version", and checking the boxes [conversion prompt still appears]

Any insight on this greatly appreciated.  This is NOT the "round tripping" discussion on the other blog post.  2010 should never have any reason to attempt to conver a project/solution that's already in the 2010 format.

Installation (Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9):

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
    Version 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.0.30319 SP1, Rel

Installed Version: Ultimate

mailto:anderson_terry@hotmail.com

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 11:23 PM
  • I to am having the same issue with vs 2010 trying to convert my already 2010 solution file. Did anyone ever figure this out?

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 2:12 PM
  • Terry I am also running the same versions as you.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 3:45 PM