none
Read multiple columns in one column RRS feed

• Question

• How can I pass multiple column names here.

like below

System.Data.Linq.Mapping.

ColumnAttribute(Storage="_id,_name,_dob" ...)

Then I can take value in dictionary object and do some process.

• Edited by ather_13 Friday, December 23, 2011 5:04 PM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 5:03 PM

Answers

• hi My Friend

You Can Combine Field in select part of query experssion.

if you cant use this help please alert to me

Sunday, December 25, 2011 12:23 PM
  • Hi ather_13,

I'm afrain I don't think it can works. When a call is made to a stored procedure or a function that returns a scalar value, linq to SQL designer generated code calls ExecuteMethodCall which returns an object that implements of IExecuteResult. But Dictionary<TKey,TValue> doesn't implement this interface.

Best Regards

Allen Li [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:54 AM

All replies

• hi My Friend

You Can Combine Field in select part of query experssion.

if you cant use this help please alert to me

Sunday, December 25, 2011 12:23 PM
  • Hi ather_13,

Welcome to MSDN Forum.

I agree with hamedsahami, you can just combine the fileds when you query them out, you can also take the value into dictionary.

Best Regards

Allen Li [MSFT]
    Monday, December 26, 2011 3:04 AM
  • Thanks hamedsahami & Allen for your responses.

Allen,

Are you telling me is there a way to directly take value in dictionary instead of taking value in single result object ?

if yes then can you tell me how ?

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Hi ather_13,

You can do like this

TestDataContext context = new TestDataContext();
                var query = from b in context.GetTable<Book>() select new { key = b.BookID, value = b.BookID + b.BookName + b.Price + b.PublishDate };
                Dictionary<int, string> dic = new Dictionary<int, string>();
                foreach (var v in query)
                {
                    dic.Add(v.key, v.value);
                }

This is a simple sample, you can use the object's id as the dictionary's key and concatenate all the properties as the dictionary's value.

Best Regards

Allen Li [MSFT]
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 1:51 AM
  • Thanks for your reply Allen.

Actually what I want instead of getting IExecuteResult, I need dictionary object. See below example, Can it be possible ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[global::System.Data.Linq.Mapping.FunctionAttribute(Name="dbo.GetProducts")]
    public ISingleResult<Products> GetProducts()
    {
    IExecuteResult result = this.ExecuteMethodCall(this, ((MethodInfo)(MethodInfo.GetCurrentMethod())));
    return ((ISingleResult<Products>)(result.ReturnValue));
    }

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

public Dictionary<string,dynamic> GetProducts()
    {
    Dictionary<string,dynamic> dic = this.ExecuteMethodCall(this, ((MethodInfo)(MethodInfo.GetCurrentMethod())));
    return dic;

}

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:05 AM
  • Hi ather_13,

I'm afrain I don't think it can works. When a call is made to a stored procedure or a function that returns a scalar value, linq to SQL designer generated code calls ExecuteMethodCall which returns an object that implements of IExecuteResult. But Dictionary<TKey,TValue> doesn't implement this interface.

Best Regards

Allen Li [MSFT]
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:54 AM
  • ok so is there any option to get dynamic type object, So later on I can retrieve column name & its value thorugh linq query ?

or is there any other option ?

public ISingleResult<dynamic> GetProducts()
    {
    IExecuteResult result = this.ExecuteMethodCall(this, ((MethodInfo)(MethodInfo.GetCurrentMethod())));
    return ((ISingleResult<dynamic>)(result.ReturnValue));
    }

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Hi ather_13,

I know what you want, I replied your another case about this issue. The link below can help you to retireve more than one value from the stored procedure,

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2007/08/16/linq-to-sql-part-6-retrieving-data-using-stored-procedures.aspx

But when you use the result, you have to know the definitely type of the object.

Best Regards

Allen Li [MSFT]
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 2:25 AM