VS2012.2 installed but do I have LightSwitch HTML updated correctly? RRS feed

• Question

• I did not see any info or warning about what to do with LightSwitch (LS) on the VS2012.2 downloads page [1]  so I ran the downloader and it upgraded VS2012 to 2012.2 RTM. Then I realized I may have needed to do something "special" for LS because I thought LS was now a part of VS2012. Still don't have that understood yet.

I looked at Programs and Features and observed LS Update 2 as I recall it was named so I uninstalled that. I started looking on the WWW for help and find a document that tells me to uninstall some folders in AppData which I (foolishly) did. I never really used LS HTML as I've been using the Desktop Silverlight client but I did have LS Update 2 installed.

I re-ran VS2012.2 update and it installed with errors complaining about the Web Platform Installer. I read the log files which I have saved and I see all kinds of entries about registry keys not being found and so on.

I also observe Web Platform Installer does not know what is and what is not installed on a machine.

Long story short, both VS2012.2 and LS seem to be running fine but I do not know if I have the latest LS bits installed so ask if somebody know how to know and what I may need to do to upgrade LS to the latest for use with VS2012.2 RTM.

[1] Visual Studio 2012 Update 2

Monday, April 8, 2013 10:46 PM

Answers

• I'll have to leave this to someone who knows the HTML Client stuff better than I do, but my understanding is that VS2012 Update 2 is all you need. And I think you're supposed to uninstall either of the preview releases of the HTML Client, if they're installed, before installing VS 2012 Update 2.

Let me try though to alleviate a little of the confusion. The HTML-related "bits" were release as:

• VS 2012 (included LS V2, known as LS 2012, no HTML Client)
    • HTML Client Preview (first release of HTML Client preview)
    • HTML Client Preview 2 (next release of HTML Client preview)
    • HTML Client CTP4 (oddly-named last release of HTML Client preview)
    • VS 2012 Update 2 (now includes RTM version of the HTML Client - LightSwitch is possibly now called V3, but I haven't had that confirmed, so I may be wrong about that)

Yann - LightSwitch Central
    Luminous Tools for LightSwitch (a FREE productivity extension)
    FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

Please click "Mark as Answer", if any reply answers your question.
    Please click "Vote as Helpful", if you find any reply helpful.

By doing this you'll help others to find answers faster.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:18 AM
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 2:40 AM
  • Hi,

VS 2012 Update 2 is what you need to have LightSwitch HTML Client.

Best regards,
    Huy Nguyen

• Proposed as answer by Yann DuranModerator Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:24 PM
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 5:07 PM

All replies

• I'll have to leave this to someone who knows the HTML Client stuff better than I do, but my understanding is that VS2012 Update 2 is all you need. And I think you're supposed to uninstall either of the preview releases of the HTML Client, if they're installed, before installing VS 2012 Update 2.

Let me try though to alleviate a little of the confusion. The HTML-related "bits" were release as:

• VS 2012 Update 2 (now includes RTM version of the HTML Client - LightSwitch is possibly now called V3, but I haven't had that confirmed, so I may be wrong about that)

Yann - LightSwitch Central
    Luminous Tools for LightSwitch (a FREE productivity extension)
    FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

Please click "Mark as Answer", if any reply answers your question.
    Please click "Vote as Helpful", if you find any reply helpful.

By doing this you'll help others to find answers faster.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 2:40 AM
  • Hi,

VS 2012 Update 2 is what you need to have LightSwitch HTML Client.

Best regards,
    Huy Nguyen

• Proposed as answer by Yann DuranModerator Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:24 PM
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 5:07 PM

Thanks for your help on this one Yann. I'm sure others have been confused by this madness.
    My install "seems" to be stable but I did install VS2012.2 RTM --before-- I uninstalled LightSwitch HTML Client Preview 2 which it should also be noted is not named or listed that way in Control Panel Programs and Features for those who need to uninstall some previous release of LightSwitchl; its actually called Update 2.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 5:08 PM