How to increase the C drive storage size inVirtual Machine(Azure) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a server in production within Azure and need to increase the size of the C drive. Please help as I need this done today,I want to increase disk space for C-drive in Virtual machine, without effecting OS files and installed programs in it.

There is no place available for me to install other softwares,

I want to increase disk space of c-drive.

Please advice simple way to make it.

Friday, February 1, 2013 12:43 PM

Answers

• The local disk space of Windows Azure instances (Roles & VM's) is fixed depending on the vmsize setting in your config:

Virtual Machine Size CPU Cores Memory Disk Space for Local Storage Resources in Web and Worker Roles Disk Space for Local Storage Resources in a VM Role Allocated Bandwidth (Mbps)

ExtraSmall

Shared

768 MB

19,480 MB

(6,144 MB is reserved for system files)

20 GB

Small

1.75 GB

229,400 MB

165 GB

Medium

3.5 GB

500,760 MB

340 GB

Large

7 GB

1,023,000 MB

850 GB

ExtraLarge

14 GB

2,087,960 MB

1890 GB

You can give you application acces to this storage by config but it cannot exceed the limits stated above:

<LocalResources>
          <LocalStorage name="localStoreOne" sizeInMB="10" />
          <LocalStorage name="localStoreTwo" sizeInMB="10" cleanOnRoleRecycle="false" />
        </LocalResources>

If you need more space you can consider Windows Azure storage using either blob storage or, at a higher abstraction level, azure drives (blob as VHD's).

Never miss the latest Windows Azure news on http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazure/

Friday, February 1, 2013 1:12 PM

All replies

• The local disk space of Windows Azure instances (Roles & VM's) is fixed depending on the vmsize setting in your config:

Virtual Machine Size CPU Cores Memory Disk Space for Local Storage Resources in Web and Worker Roles Disk Space for Local Storage Resources in a VM Role Allocated Bandwidth (Mbps)

ExtraSmall

Shared

768 MB

19,480 MB

20 GB

Small

1.75 GB

229,400 MB

165 GB

Medium

3.5 GB

500,760 MB

340 GB

Large

7 GB

1,023,000 MB

850 GB

ExtraLarge

14 GB

2,087,960 MB

1890 GB

You can give you application acces to this storage by config but it cannot exceed the limits stated above:

<LocalResources>
          <LocalStorage name="localStoreOne" sizeInMB="10" />
          <LocalStorage name="localStoreTwo" sizeInMB="10" cleanOnRoleRecycle="false" />
        </LocalResources>

If you need more space you can consider Windows Azure storage using either blob storage or, at a higher abstraction level, azure drives (blob as VHD's).

Never miss the latest Windows Azure news on http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazure/

Friday, February 1, 2013 1:12 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you all for your time and consideration. I am going through the solution you have provided. But eventhough I couldnt figure it out. I have raised a ticket for the Azure people. But anyways Thank you. Please if youg can provide something else which can give me ahead start before Azure guys,I would really appreciate that.

Thank you again.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 11:18 AM