Windows 8 Data Services

Question

• Hello I am trying to research re writting a windows7 /windows phone 7 it now uses sql server(local)  and a wcf service library(sql Server remote) for online data sync between phone and PC. As of right now I self host the databases for each person that buys an app from me.

I am thinking of using DevExpress's DExtreme HTML/JavaScript widgets for the Win 8 app and it will also allow me to write one code block for Ipad Iphone and Android tablets and phone.

1.My question is how can an application that uses a Windows Azure database be set up so that each person that buys my app gets their own database file for their info? How do I get them their endpoint when they purchase? 

2. How do you allow for a trial version with data, must I use SQL Lite for trial versions and then just convert data to SQL server data on Widows Azure after purchase? Meaning that the trial version would only use local data.

3. Do I create a Windows Azure account for my Project and then just add new users manually and send them their info after purchase?

All this cloud stuff in cool but it sure makes for alot of questions :)

Thanks Jon

Thank You Jon Stroh

Friday, February 15, 2013 3:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Jon,

For windows store app client-side, I think you need to add code which detect if the current app is of trial or purchased status. Then, your app will execute the corresponding code (either accessing local SQLLite/html5 indexed DB or invoke remote data service hosted on windows azure host). The trial/purchase detection can be done via the LicenseInformation:

#How to create a trial version of your app (Windows)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694065.aspx

Then, for the data service (hosed on Azure cloud), you will need to define some contract so that the service can help identify the client (which is of purchased status) and create (and maintain) a cloud db instance (either physical or logical depend on your design) for it. You might consider imlementing the client identification by using user account (such as Microsoft account/windows live id or custom app user account), or you can consider using device/hardware speific info:

#Guidance on using the App Specific Hardware ID (ASHWID) to implement per-device app logic (Windows)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj553431.aspx

And for how you will store the data at server-side, or whether you will create physical database or just maintain some logical database via tables in a single physica db, it is transparent to windows store client (which just use the exposed service contract/operations to interact with server).

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by JonStroh Monday, February 18, 2013 2:17 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 7:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Jon,

For windows store app client-side, I think you need to add code which detect if the current app is of trial or purchased status. Then, your app will execute the corresponding code (either accessing local SQLLite/html5 indexed DB or invoke remote data service hosted on windows azure host). The trial/purchase detection can be done via the LicenseInformation:

#How to create a trial version of your app (Windows)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694065.aspx

Then, for the data service (hosed on Azure cloud), you will need to define some contract so that the service can help identify the client (which is of purchased status) and create (and maintain) a cloud db instance (either physical or logical depend on your design) for it. You might consider imlementing the client identification by using user account (such as Microsoft account/windows live id or custom app user account), or you can consider using device/hardware speific info:

#Guidance on using the App Specific Hardware ID (ASHWID) to implement per-device app logic (Windows)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj553431.aspx

And for how you will store the data at server-side, or whether you will create physical database or just maintain some logical database via tables in a single physica db, it is transparent to windows store client (which just use the exposed service contract/operations to interact with server).

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by JonStroh Monday, February 18, 2013 2:17 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 7:52 AM
  • Thank you very much fro your reply, it is very informative.

Jon

Thank You Jon Stroh

Monday, February 18, 2013 2:19 PM