Legacy Display Drivers on Windows 8 - specifically intel 855gm

Question

• Hello everyone! I have an old laptop that has the Intel 82852/82855 Chipset with the 855GM card, and I am unable to get any of Intel's drivers to work on the computer.

The driver installer fails to install the drivers, and Device Manager will not update the drivers, citing "The driver selected for this device does not support this version of Windows".

It is impossible to obtain a newer driver for Windows 8 (Intel didn't even produce drivers for Vista), but I have always got it to work one way or the other on Windows Vista and Windows 7.

A workaround for installing on Windows 7 can be found here: http://groundstate.net/855GMWin7.html but this didn't work at all on Windows Developer Preview.

It is indeed sad to see Microsoft dropping legacy display driver support from Windows 8 (at least, from what I am experiencing), and I hope this will be rectified soon!

• Edited by ryanswj Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:18 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:17 AM

Answers

• Windows 8 drops XDDM driver support. You now get the Microsoft Basic Display Driver as a replacement for the VGA driver if Windows doesn't have drivers.

Microsoft will be providing a WDDM-based Basic Display Driver that is a replacement for today’s in-box XDDM Standard VGA driver that will provide basic display functionality and software-based 2D and 3D rendering.

Microsoft Basic Display Driver
    On Windows 8, The Microsoft Basic Display Driver will be the in-box display driver that will replace both the XDDM VGA Save and VGA PnP drivers
    . Following are the key benefits of this change:
    • MSBDD helps enable a consistent end user and developer experience, because it is compatible with the newer versions of DirectX APIs and technologies such as the “Desktop Composition”.
    • Server scenarios can benefit from the higher functionality (specifically, features like reboot-less updates, dynamic start and stop, and so on) provided by the WDDM driver model.
    • MSBDD will support Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) Graphics Output Protocol (GOP).
    • MSBDD will work on both XDDM and WDDM hardware.

The Microsoft Basic Display Driver is the default in-box display driver that is loaded during setup, in safe mode, in the absence of an IHV graphics driver or when the inbox installed graphics IHV driver is not working or is disabled. The primary purpose of this driver is to enable Windows to write to the display controller’s linear frame buffer.

Source:
    Windows Display Driver Model Enhancements

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by ryanswj Friday, September 23, 2011 7:22 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:56 PM

All replies

• On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 07:17:44 +0000, ryanswj wrote:

It is indeed sad to see Microsoft dropping legacy display driver support from Windows 8 (at least, from what I am experiencing), and I hope this will be rectified soon!

It isn't Microsoft that is dropping support, it is Intel, complain to them,
    though given the age of that video card and the fact that it hasn't been
    supported since XP you're likely not going to have much luck.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Death is a nonmaskable interrupt.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:27 PM
  • Hi Paul! Thanks for your prompt reply. :)

Shouldn't Microsoft be aiming to keep backward compatibility for most, if not all of the devices that are in the market right now?

This is the 'support for legacy hardware' that I am referring to. The ability to use back device drivers from Windows XP.

If it worked in Vista and 7 (albeit with much more manual work), I don't see why Windows 8 won't support this!

I don't need Aero and the fancy window animations. I just need proper screen resolutions and basic hardware acceleration.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:30 PM
  • On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 13:30:02 +0000, ryanswj wrote:

Hi Paul! Thanks for your prompt reply. :)

Shouldn't Microsoft be aiming to keep backward compatibility for most, if not all of the devices that are in the market right now?

This is the 'support for legacy hardware' that I am referring to. The ability to use back device drivers from Windows XP.

If it worked in Vista and 7 (albeit with much more manual work), I don't see why Windows 8 won't support this!

I don't need Aero and the fancy window animations. I just need proper screen resolutions and basic hardware acceleration.

Microsoft has no control over 3rd party drivers and they never have. Any
    driver that required you to hack a binary file to get it to work isn't ever
    going to be supported by Microsoft. Expecting to be able to use drivers for
    hardware where the vendor hasn't bothered updating them since Windows XP is
    totally unrealistic IMO.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Maybe Computer Science should be in the College of Theology.  -- R. S.
    Barton

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:16 PM
  • Windows 8 drops XDDM driver support. You now get the Microsoft Basic Display Driver as a replacement for the VGA driver if Windows doesn't have drivers.

Microsoft will be providing a WDDM-based Basic Display Driver that is a replacement for today’s in-box XDDM Standard VGA driver that will provide basic display functionality and software-based 2D and 3D rendering.

Microsoft Basic Display Driver
    On Windows 8, The Microsoft Basic Display Driver will be the in-box display driver that will replace both the XDDM VGA Save and VGA PnP drivers
    . Following are the key benefits of this change:
    • MSBDD helps enable a consistent end user and developer experience, because it is compatible with the newer versions of DirectX APIs and technologies such as the “Desktop Composition”.
    • Server scenarios can benefit from the higher functionality (specifically, features like reboot-less updates, dynamic start and stop, and so on) provided by the WDDM driver model.
    • MSBDD will support Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) Graphics Output Protocol (GOP).
    • MSBDD will work on both XDDM and WDDM hardware.

The Microsoft Basic Display Driver is the default in-box display driver that is loaded during setup, in safe mode, in the absence of an IHV graphics driver or when the inbox installed graphics IHV driver is not working or is disabled. The primary purpose of this driver is to enable Windows to write to the display controller’s linear frame buffer.

Source:
    Windows Display Driver Model Enhancements

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by ryanswj Friday, September 23, 2011 7:22 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:56 PM
  • Paul, Andre, thanks for your replies. I really appreciate them.

I am marking Andre's response as the answer because it answers my questions fully!

It looks like this might be the end of my Compaq laptop with the 855GM integrated graphics.

I sure hope Microsoft implements a fallback mode, like GNOME 3!

Friday, September 23, 2011 7:22 AM