none
OfficePresenceLogging in Outlook 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I am developing an IM provider for Outlook 2007 / 2010 / 2013. I noticed that enabling the office presence logging like described here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff678502.aspx doesn't work with Outlook 2013 anymore. It work fine with 2007 and 2010 but no log file is created if I use 2013.

Maybe an expert like 'Dave V' or anyone else knows how to enable it in 2013?

Thanks in advance!

• Edited by DanielLang Friday, August 3, 2012 10:15 AM
    Friday, August 3, 2012 10:15 AM

Answers

• Hi Daniel,

I was able to follow up with the Product Group.  They confirmed this logging was removed from Outlook 2013 in favor of using ETW logging going forward.  The new Presence/Person Card logging can be enabled by creating the following registry key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\General]

Dword: EnablePCXLogging

Value:1 = Enabled

Value:0 = Disabled

With this registry key in place, logs will be created in the following folder location:

“%localappdata%\Microsoft\Office\15.0\PCX\Tracing”

The Files created are ".etl" files which a Microsoft Support Engineer has the tools to analyze.

Thank you again Daniel,

Lucas

• Proposed as answer by lahren-MSFT Thursday, August 9, 2012 4:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by DanielLang Thursday, August 9, 2012 5:18 PM
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 4:12 PM

All replies

• Hi DanielLang,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN forum.

I will involve some experts into this issue to see whether they can help you out. There might be some time delay, appreciate for your patience.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, August 6, 2012 4:54 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your post.  I will test this and let you know if I need any more information.

Thank you again Daniel,

Lucas

Monday, August 6, 2012 8:16 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

I was able to reproduces this in my lab and I have shared these concerns with the Product Group.

Thank you again for your post,

Lucas

• Marked as answer by DanielLang Tuesday, August 7, 2012 5:50 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by DanielLang Monday, August 27, 2012 10:08 PM
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 2:46 PM
  • Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your answer. Good to know it's not my mistake :)

Cheers, Daniel

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 5:51 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

I was able to follow up with the Product Group.  They confirmed this logging was removed from Outlook 2013 in favor of using ETW logging going forward.  The new Presence/Person Card logging can be enabled by creating the following registry key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\General]

Dword: EnablePCXLogging

Value:1 = Enabled

Value:0 = Disabled

With this registry key in place, logs will be created in the following folder location:

“%localappdata%\Microsoft\Office\15.0\PCX\Tracing”

The Files created are ".etl" files which a Microsoft Support Engineer has the tools to analyze.

Thank you again Daniel,

Lucas

• Proposed as answer by lahren-MSFT Thursday, August 9, 2012 4:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by DanielLang Thursday, August 9, 2012 5:18 PM
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 4:12 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

I just found this post.  I am aware of the issue and I trying to come up with a way to still provide this information for developers as to help them in their troubleshooting.

Dave

Friday, August 2, 2013 3:47 PM
  • Hi all, 

I'm looking the way to read the etl log file generated through above method (EnablePCXLogging). Im wondering where/how/whom to send to these  files (Outlook 2016 presence debug logs).

Balamurali C

Monday, January 25, 2016 1:14 PM