none
Building a report with 4 datasets RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a dataset that contains 4 tables. The master table and 3 detail tables that have the key of the master table entry. I am used to Crystal Reports and I would just use the select data wizard, but I am having trouble. I would like to build the report that has fields from the master table followed by the data from the appropriate sub tables. When I try to use groupings on the master table, I am limited by the system to only using fields from the master table. When I try to add a control(table) from the toolbox, it also limits me to only using fields from the master table. This seems as though it should be easy. Any help? Thanks, Jim
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 1:08 PM

All replies

• I think you will need to define subreports to display the information in the secondary tables.

http://www.gotreportviewer.com/subreports/index.html

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 4:51 PM
  • It seems that the subreport route is really cumbersome. It would be nice if you could just insert a tables control and only select data to propagate it based on a key value passed by the main data table. Clean and simple.
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 5:35 PM
  • I'm not going to defend Microsoft's design, I think there are more than a few ways they could improve the reporting features. With that said, I don't find the subreporting process that cumbersome. Yes you have to define the report in another file, but it only takes a couple of lines of code to bind the dataset and your done.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 1:09 PM
  • Couldn't I define a parameter that is the master key. Then add a table control to display the detail that will  be selected based on the parameter value?  This should display all the detail associated with that master record.  I'm have used the subreport in Crystal and could never get the columns lined up properly between the sub reports since they are designed on different design surfaces.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 8:30 PM