none
Use Windows Authentication to Login to Virtual Machine RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 10 host machine which has a Windows Server 2016 guest machine (VirtualBox). I want to use Windows Authentication to login to guest machine. Basically I want to login to Windows Server guest using my Windows 10 host machines credentials (using the same user account).

I know Active Directory can be configured in Server machines, but I can't find a way to do it in Windows 10. Adding the Windows 10 host to a AD in WS 2016 guest doesn't look like a solution. Because the server will be down when trying to login from my Windows 10 host machine. Is there any solution to this?

Why do I need to do this?
    I want to do this because I want to use same Windows Authentication in both of the SQL Server installations in my host machine and guest machine. I want to use DTA to tune the SQL server in my guest machine by creating some shell databases in the SQL Server in my host machine. It is only possible if both SQL Servers are in the same domain and accessed using the same Windows Authentication. 
    More details about this tuning approach can be found here: Reducing the Production Server Tuning Load  
    This option works only with Windows Authentication not with SQL Server Authentication.

So I want to somehow add my Windows 10 host and Windows Server guest to same domain and use Windows Authentication in both SQL Server using the same user account.   

Is there any other alternative option to get this tuning approach working? 

• Edited by DeepanG Wednesday, April 19, 2017 8:35 AM
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 9:44 PM