Issue With Access 2010's Check of Folder Rights RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I have a share defined on a workstation that acts as a host for some virtual machines using VirtualBox.  The share is actually created by specifying it in each of the virtual machines' definitions.  

I have two virtual machines -- one has Office 2007 installed and the other has Office 2010 installed -- both with Windows 7 Ultimate x64.  I can access the share from either virtual machine and create and delete a text file.  The share has an Access 2007 accde database with compact on close enabled. (This is a small proof of concept database so please don't comment on the hazzards of using compact on close.)

If I open and close the database from the virtual machine that has Access 2007 installed the behavior is as expected -- the database compacts on closing.

If I open and close the database from the virtual machine that has Access 2010 installed Access throws an error when closing saying something to the effect that the user needs to have full control of the folder to be able to compact the database.

I check the security settings for the folder and the effective permissions for the user account had everything check except Full Control and Delete Files and Folders.  I am a little confused on why the user account was able to create a file and then delete it but that is a seperate issue.

I suspect this is due to a problem with the way the share is handled by VirtualBox. 

I need a confirmation of the following before I raise the issue with Oracle:
    1. Access 2007 does not check rights before trying going through the compact cycle (create new database, copy everything into it, delete old database, rename new database)
    2. Access 2010 checks the user's rights in the folder and if the Delete Files and Folders right is not present in the ACL it throws the above mentioned error.

It would also be helpful to know how security is handled on a network drive.  If the client system raises a request to delete a file on a server does the local machine check the ACL of the folder and throw an error if Delete Folders and Files is not part of the permission or does the local machine simply forward the request to the server and it is the server that throws the error if Delete Folders and Files is not part of the user's permissions?

http://www.saberman.com
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:16 PM

All replies

• Since these act as two separate machines, you have 2 registries. That is where the Trusted Locations setting is stored. Are you sure you have those set for the 2010 virtual box ?

You can do this via VBA and registry API call instead of the front-end.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:50 PM
  • The 2010 virtual machine has the same trusted location settings.
    http://www.saberman.com
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:20 AM