none
Intellisense for references to another class library

Question

• I have a weird recurring problem.  It happens in multiple projects.  The scenario is..

I have a C# .NET program (A) targeting UWP, it references classes from a portable class library (B) which makes references to another portable class library (C)

Everything compiles with no errors/warning and runs without any issues.

When I first create the program, Intellisense works great and there are also no issues.  However, periodically all the classes that are defined in library (C) show with the red squiggly line underneath and intellisense complains that they are not defined.  Compiling and execution still work fine.

To fix it, I remove the reference to (C) from library (B) and then add it back in.  The problem goes away for a little bit, and then comes back a few minutes later.

This is very frustrating, does anyone have any idea as to why this is happening?

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 3:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Nebula Sleuth,

Please create a new project to check whether this issue related to this specific project or all projects.

If the new project doesn't have this issue, please try remove .suo file for current project and then clear all caches in below paths.

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebsiteCache
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0(your vs version)\ComponentModelCache
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0(your vs version)\ManifestCache

If the problem still exist, please create a new project with the same name and then move the original project files to the new project one by one to confirm which file causes this issue.

If all projects have this issue, please try with below steps to troubleshoot this problem.

1. Run Visual Studio in safe mode with "Deven.exe /SafeMode" command to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.
    2. Reset all settings for your Visual Studio through Tools -> Import and Export settings -> Reset all settings.
    3. Repair your Visual Studio through Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Visual Studio -> Change -> Repair.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 2:31 AM