none
HORM (Hibernate) on Windows IoT Core device (ARM32) RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to get HORM working on a SolidRun Hummingboard (ARM32) running IoT Core, because I want to speed up the boot time which currently stands at ~80 seconds.

I successfully installed and activated the Unified Write Filter as guided. I then used 'PowerCfg /H ON' to enable hibernation. This initially failed, and I had to increase the size of the MainOS partition to ~2GB for it to start working.

The next command is 'uwfmgr.exe filter enable-horm'. That returns ' E r r o r :     C o u l d   n o t   e n a b l e   H O R M   ( A c c e s s   i s   d e n i e d . )' and then a list of six conditions that must exist for HORM to be enabled. My setup meets all six conditions.

Has anyone successfully implemented HORM on an ARM-based IoT Core device?

• Edited by KiwiAndrew Saturday, November 2, 2019 5:00 AM
    Friday, November 1, 2019 11:00 PM

All replies

• Before you go any further, as a test, hibernate the system and measure how fast the system boots from hibernation. If the boot time is close to cold boot, than it is not worth pursuing HORM any further.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Monday, November 4, 2019 4:43 AM
  • Hello KiwiAndrew,

HORM feature is supported on x86-based and x64-based devices. The document(https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/customize/enterprise/hibernate-once-resume-many-horm-#requirements)  does not show that can be supported on ARM platform.

Best Regards,

Michael

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 4, 2019 7:39 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Thanks. I had seen that doco ... but hoped that it wasn't accurate!

Do you know if support for HORM capability is the responsibility of Microsoft, or of NXP (chip), or of SolidRun (NXP-based SOM)?

I'd like to follow up with the correct party, looking for some guidance on if/when HORM will be supported on ARM.

Thanks,

Andrew

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 2:03 AM
  • Hello KiwiAbdrew,

It should be the responsibility of the hardware vendor. You may try to contact with SolidRun.

Best Regard,

Michael

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 8:33 AM