I'd like to get something like this:

http://localhost:8082/MyService

with multiple operations:

Workflow1(), Workflow2(), etc

So that in the client, the code would look something like this:

var proxy = new ServiceReference1.ServiceClient();

var data1 = proxy.Workflow1();

var data2 = proxy.Workflow2();

Is that possible?  Advisable??  How do I go about this if it is possible and advisable??

I'm setting up my services in code like this currently, but can't get more than 1 operation on a service:

try

{

string baseAddress = "http://localhost:8082/";

Uri address = null;

Activity workflow = null;

WorkflowServiceHost host = null;

address = new Uri(baseAddress + "MyService");

workflow = new Workflow1();

host = new WorkflowServiceHost(workflow, address);

host.Description.Behaviors.Add(new ServiceMetadataBehavior() { HttpGetEnabled = true });

host.Open();

WorkflowServicesHosts.Add(host);

workflow = new WorkflowServices.Workflow2();

address = new Uri(baseAddress + "Workflow2");

host = new WorkflowServiceHost(workflow, address);

host.Open();

WorkflowServicesHosts.Add(host);

foreach(WorkflowServiceHost wfsh in WorkflowServicesHosts)

{

Console.WriteLine(wfsh.Description.Name);

}

TIA,

George

Monday, October 18, 2010 12:36 AM

Answers

• George,

Basically, your solution can be managed by a Virtual Contract (untyped message) and workflow service for mediating each operation. The Virtual Contract must be created using a Contract-First model. The wsdl metadata can be stored in the Repository or as a local resource for its exporting by service.

Note, that the client will create a proxy based on the Contract-First model, not from the physical service.

Thanks

Roman

Roman Kiss, MVP Connected System Developer
    • Proposed as answer by Andrew_Zhu Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by geoGruven Wednesday, October 20, 2010 10:13 AM
    Monday, October 18, 2010 11:38 PM

All replies

• you have to configure the Receive activity's OperationName and ServiceContractName property. If two Receive activity have same ServiceContractName and different OperationName, it will create a ServiceContract with multiple operations for you.
    Monday, October 18, 2010 7:21 AM
  • Thanks for your quick reply Juyu.  Currently, my Receive Activitys do have the same ServiceContractName ({http://tempuri.org/}IService) with different OperationNames. (MyService, Workflow2)

Is the C# code in my original question correct?  I've tried a couple of different strategies and this works, but I end up with 2 ServiceProxys each with one Operation.

Again, my goal is 1 ServiceProxy with many Operations.

Thanks,

George

Monday, October 18, 2010 1:08 PM
  • George,

I'm not really sure if you can do it by creating two separate hosts, but I think you can do it by putting the two service workflows as children of a single parallel [or better: pick] activity (so siblings of each other), and then hosting it in a single WorkflowServiceHost. In that case they would get hosted on the same address, but I'm guessing that is fine(?).

Tim

Edit: Whoops, just realized I probably should have recommended Pick activity instead of Parallel.
    Tim

Monday, October 18, 2010 6:29 PM
  • Hi,

To do this you will need to create a third WCF service that calls the two workflow services depending on the method called. It may be possible to de something clever with the routing service.

Regards,

Alan

http://www.CloudCasts.net - Community Webcasts Powered by Azure
    Monday, October 18, 2010 7:59 PM
  • Thanks Tim and Allan for your replies.

My project will have tens of Operations and I was hopeful that I could place all those Operations on one WorkflowServiceHost.

I think placing tens of receive operations in one parallel activity or one WCF endpoint that ‘picks’ the correct workflow would work but might be more complicated that just creating 1 Activity and one WorkflowServiceHost per operation using a factory method.

Thanks again for your help,

George

Monday, October 18, 2010 8:55 PM
  • George,

Basically, your solution can be managed by a Virtual Contract (untyped message) and workflow service for mediating each operation. The Virtual Contract must be created using a Contract-First model. The wsdl metadata can be stored in the Repository or as a local resource for its exporting by service.

Note, that the client will create a proxy based on the Contract-First model, not from the physical service.

Thanks

Roman

Roman Kiss, MVP Connected System Developer
    • Marked as answer by geoGruven Wednesday, October 20, 2010 10:13 AM
    Monday, October 18, 2010 11:38 PM