Free Text Parameter Input in Power BI RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Power BI model that contains information about Parts, including part name, description, part number, etc.   I know I can make a drop down list of the available part numbers and have the user pick the ones they want information about.  However, the PartNumber list is really long and users often know what part numbers they need.  So, we want a user to be able to enter a particular part number and have the data model filtered based on that.  Is there a way to do that?
    Thursday, July 5, 2018 5:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Imarkum,

According to your description, it seems that you want to pass parameter value manually in PowerBI, right? If I have something misunderstood, please correct me.

As I know, the PowerBI doesn't support pass parameter manually. You could submit this feature on power bi idea.

In addition, you also could type the filed value in advanced filter like below

Thanks for your understanding and support.
    Best Regards,
    Zoe Zhi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 6, 2018 2:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Imarkum,

According to your description, it seems that you want to pass parameter value manually in PowerBI, right? If I have something misunderstood, please correct me.

As I know, the PowerBI doesn't support pass parameter manually. You could submit this feature on power bi idea.

In addition, you also could type the filed value in advanced filter like below

Thanks for your understanding and support.
    Best Regards,
    Zoe Zhi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 6, 2018 2:32 AM
  • Thanks Zoe.  You understand my question perfectly.  Too bad Power BI doesn't support that right now.  Thanks for the answer.
    Friday, July 6, 2018 6:55 PM