none
Screen freezing during pen down event for i.MX537 BSP from Adeneo RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are currently implementing a graph review mode for our product which includes two cursors- similar to an oscilloscope. The problem we are having is that we are not able to move the cursor during a continuous pen down event. The cursor moves to the new position only after a pen-up event. The cause of this problem is that the screen is freezing during pen down (not updating until pen up event). We noticed that if the system goes into suspend state and back to On state, this problem disappears and the screen starts updating during pen down event.

What could be the cause of this problem? We are using the DA9053 PMIC.

We are using WINCE 7 and Visual Studio 2008.

Thanks,

David L. 

• Edited by DavidL83 Thursday, September 17, 2015 9:16 PM Forgot to mention development environment
    Thursday, September 17, 2015 9:13 PM

Answers

• So the problem that you report is, well, odd.  Let me summarize what I think you reported:

1. When you first boot up, touch down followed by touch moves are not being handled correctly
    2. If you suspend/resume, touch down followed by touch moves are being handled correctly

If I am correct, then it might be an initialization problem.   That is, init is different from resume.

The first thing that I would do is debug the touch driver to see what it does when you touch and move.  Keep in mind that this is not going to be easy as touch is not easy to debug, your debugging will change the behavior.  So start with some very short and simple DEBUGMSG() or RETAILMSG() outputs to see what the IST does/doesn't do.   I suspect that you may find that interrupts don't occur until pen up.

Have you first contacted your vendors to see if they have a solution?

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman
    I work for Eurotech

• Marked as answer by DavidL83 Tuesday, September 22, 2015 7:02 PM
    Friday, September 18, 2015 2:49 PM

All replies

• David:

There are so many reasons why this might occur that I don't really know where to start.  So instead, a question: Is this a problem with your application or with the OS?  On the desktop, when you touch the it and move your finger a box should be drawn and it should follow your finger.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    I work for Eurotech

Friday, September 18, 2015 12:41 PM
  • Bruce:

The problem is with the OS. On the desktop, when I touch and move my finger the screen not box is drawn until after I lift up my finger. Also, when I tried to move one of the desktop icons, the icon did not follow my finger but was redrawn at the location where I lift up.

I went to the start menu and put the system in suspend mode, and use a wake up interrupt to put the system in the ON state. After that, I saw the box being drawn and following my finger. Also, while moving a desktop icon, it was following my finger. There seen to be a problem with the pen down and continuous press operation when the OS is loaded. What should I look for?

Thank you for your time and help,

David L.

Friday, September 18, 2015 1:43 PM
  • So the problem that you report is, well, odd.  Let me summarize what I think you reported:

1. When you first boot up, touch down followed by touch moves are not being handled correctly
    2. If you suspend/resume, touch down followed by touch moves are being handled correctly

If I am correct, then it might be an initialization problem.   That is, init is different from resume.

The first thing that I would do is debug the touch driver to see what it does when you touch and move.  Keep in mind that this is not going to be easy as touch is not easy to debug, your debugging will change the behavior.  So start with some very short and simple DEBUGMSG() or RETAILMSG() outputs to see what the IST does/doesn't do.   I suspect that you may find that interrupts don't occur until pen up.

Have you first contacted your vendors to see if they have a solution?

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    I work for Eurotech

• Marked as answer by DavidL83 Tuesday, September 22, 2015 7:02 PM
    Friday, September 18, 2015 2:49 PM
  • Bruce:

Yes, that is the problem we are reporting.

Yes, we contacted Adeneo while we were on a 30-days support and their answer was "Please keep in mind this BSP and particular product has been in market for quite a few years and we have not received any feedback on this particular issue so the BSP is satisfying the customers with needs on a typical product being developed using this chipset and OS."  Adeneo offered to help us to fix the issue at an extra cost which we could not afford and still think that is an issue with their BSP. An engineer from Adeneo confirmed the same issue during his testing but they still want to charge us extra money.

We will follow your advise and start debugging the touch driver. Please let us know if you have any other recommendations.

Thank you for your time and help,

David L.

Friday, September 18, 2015 3:25 PM