none
learning and career issues with kernel (about me) RRS feed

• Question

• - windows internals 7th edition part 1 
    - Developing Windows NT Device Drivers
    - The Windows 2000 Device Driver Book
    - Operating Systems: Three Easy Pieces
    - Windows Kernel Programming by Pavel

some guy that i know who has developed a lot of kernel drivers + hypervisors told me to read those books + intel's manuals if i want to learn both kernel and hv development now the reason am asking here is since there are a lot of knowledgeable people who have gone through reading some of this books and i want to here there thoughts and the most 2 questions are 

1 - i already coded some kernel drivers before yes they where not coded good at all but i understood how they actually worked and i enjoyed coding them it was fun for me. but the thing here i don't really want to read all of those books for days , months even years without doing anything So could i open 1 of them for example read something specific that i want to know about then code a driver based on that and whenever i encounter something that i don't understand i go back to them? or how does someone really learn by reading 5 books?

2 - now i love internal stuff such as hv development (still didn't learn more about it) and kernel on windows. How will someone could get a job with learning those stuff? who would hire me?

Saturday, January 25, 2020 7:39 AM

Answers

• In order to write anti-cheat software, you'd have to know very precisely how cheat software works, and to know that, you'd have to know very precisely how games work.  You aren't going to get either of those things from a book on Windows internals or a book on drivers.  Every game is a little bit different.

And, for all that trouble, what's the freakin' point?  Surely there are real-life, productive tasks you can turn your attention to.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

• Marked as answer by Frankybro Monday, January 27, 2020 8:55 AM
    Monday, January 27, 2020 7:18 AM

All replies

• Everyone learns differently.  For me, I always learn more by DOING.  You can buy any number of inexpensive USB experimenter's kits that allow you to play with real-world hardware, and drive them with drivers.  That would be way more productive for me than reading a bunch of documents.

And by the way, most of the books you pointed out there are very old.  The two device driver books are both more than 20 years old.  Few people are writing drivers that way any more.

In career terms, remember that there are many different types of driver, and they require very different techniques.  Streaming drivers (audio, video), storage drivers, network drivers, USB drivers, graphics drivers, printer drivers, I2C drivers, scanner drivers, etc., all have VERY different requirements.  To get a career, you'd really need to specialize in some area.

Saturday, January 25, 2020 10:28 PM
  • Everyone learns differently.  For me, I always learn more by DOING.  You can buy any number of inexpensive USB experimenter's kits that allow you to play with real-world hardware, and drive them with drivers.  That would be way more productive for me than reading a bunch of documents.

And by the way, most of the books you pointed out there are very old.  The two device driver books are both more than 20 years old.  Few people are writing drivers that way any more.

In career terms, remember that there are many different types of driver, and they require very different techniques.  Streaming drivers (audio, video), storage drivers, network drivers, USB drivers, graphics drivers, printer drivers, I2C drivers, scanner drivers, etc., all have VERY different requirements.  To get a career, you'd really need to specialize in some area.

but do you think like taking 1 book out of those which should be the one that will make me understand windows internals which is "windows internals 7th edition part 1 " is more than enough? since like you said most of the books are old i guess this one should be the newest until they release "part 2" of it. The Type of driver that i want to build would be something for a Game like An Anti-cheat driver so what should i learn for that? if making a usb driver and other types of drivers would improve my knowledge for building this driver then i will do it for sure but i want to hear it from you as you are (expert) in this stuff.
    Sunday, January 26, 2020 3:20 AM
  • In order to write anti-cheat software, you'd have to know very precisely how cheat software works, and to know that, you'd have to know very precisely how games work.  You aren't going to get either of those things from a book on Windows internals or a book on drivers.  Every game is a little bit different.

And, for all that trouble, what's the freakin' point?  Surely there are real-life, productive tasks you can turn your attention to.

• Marked as answer by Frankybro Monday, January 27, 2020 8:55 AM
    Monday, January 27, 2020 7:18 AM

absolutely right man i am just thinking a lot of where should i start or which driver should i do to understand the internals of windows + kernel but i guess i will read some books and experiment building drivers until i find my niche. thank you Tim!
    Monday, January 27, 2020 8:55 AM