Debugging Azure Emulator web role with Android? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone have any success with this?

I am trying to test a mobile site that is running as a web role in an Azure Emulator.  I have an Android device connected to my local wireless network, and am trying to access the site.  

Here are the suggestions I've tried:

1.  Use Fiddler as a reverse proxy.

Issue: my machine's local IP address is 192.168.1.10.  I add a rule to Fiddler:

if (oSession.host.toLowerCase() == "192.168.1.10:8888") oSession.host = "127.0.0.2:81";

- navigating in a browser to both of the addresses on my local machine works perfectly

I've added port "8888" as both an incoming and outgoing port in Windows Firewall.

However, my Android device when pointed at http://192.168.1.10:8888 never loads a web page.  It seems it cannot "find" it.

2.  Add a new site to IIS using the web role's directory

This did not work because I have Azure specific code (like Trace.Write()) in areas like Application_Start that cause an error in IIS.  Basically, my web role is coded for Azure so it does not work in IIS.

Thanks!

Matt

Monday, September 10, 2012 8:33 PM

Answers

• Ok.  Deploying to the cloud is not a great solution, and the emulators don't really work like most Android devices I've found.  I'll try elsewhere.  Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by OceanMorning Friday, September 14, 2012 3:30 PM
    Friday, September 14, 2012 3:30 PM

All replies

• This is not officially supported. You cannot access compute emulator from another machine or device without hacks. It is recommended to deploy your service to the cloud and then test it from your Andriod device, or use the Andriod emulator on the same development machine to test the service locally. If you want to use a hack like Fiddler reverse proxy, please ask the question on a related forum, such as the Fiddler forum.

Friday, September 14, 2012 4:59 AM
  • Ok.  Deploying to the cloud is not a great solution, and the emulators don't really work like most Android devices I've found.  I'll try elsewhere.  Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by OceanMorning Friday, September 14, 2012 3:30 PM
    Friday, September 14, 2012 3:30 PM