will a windows mobile 6 app work on a windows ce 6 RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

I need to make an app for a windows ce 6 device, but i haven't find any emulators for this type of operating system and I don't have the device. I only get windows ce 5 or windows mobile 5 and 6 emulators. If a write the app for a windows mobile 6 can it be installed afterwards on a windows ce? will it work? They both use net framework 3.5. If not what can I do? Any suggestions?

i don't really understand the differences between windows mobile and ce that's why i'm asking.

Thank you.

• Moved by CoolDadTx Monday, April 6, 2015 2:15 PM Mobile related
    Monday, April 6, 2015 10:29 AM

Answers

• Windows CE is a custom built modular OS. That is, it is created by device OEM for a specific purpose by selecting components needed for that purpose. That means that one Windows CE 6 device can have very different OS than another Windows CE device even though it is the same OS version.

Say, one CE 6 device can have no screen or keyboard or mouse (headless configuration to be embedded into something), another can have no networking or sound or pretty much anything else. It is pretty common that CE device has no NETCF on it and no ability to install it.

So it is not possible to tell if your application would work on specific CE device unless it is written for that specific CE device. 

In any way, if you write an app for Windows Mobile even in the best case it probably will be somewhat broken on Windows CE device, at least as far as UI is concerned. If you use any components not present on CE in general and/or on that particular CE device then it won't run at all.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Spiri91 Monday, April 6, 2015 4:02 PM
    Monday, April 6, 2015 3:56 PM

All replies

• Windows CE is a custom built modular OS. That is, it is created by device OEM for a specific purpose by selecting components needed for that purpose. That means that one Windows CE 6 device can have very different OS than another Windows CE device even though it is the same OS version.

Say, one CE 6 device can have no screen or keyboard or mouse (headless configuration to be embedded into something), another can have no networking or sound or pretty much anything else. It is pretty common that CE device has no NETCF on it and no ability to install it.

So it is not possible to tell if your application would work on specific CE device unless it is written for that specific CE device. 

In any way, if you write an app for Windows Mobile even in the best case it probably will be somewhat broken on Windows CE device, at least as far as UI is concerned. If you use any components not present on CE in general and/or on that particular CE device then it won't run at all.

• Marked as answer by Spiri91 Monday, April 6, 2015 4:02 PM
    Monday, April 6, 2015 3:56 PM
  • I'm having a project that involves a bunch of motorola mc9090-g scanners, some of them have windows mobile 6, but some have windows CE 6, they look and act the same.. but if i deliver the app i don't know if it will act the same on both versions.

does windows ce need a special type of installer for an app or is the same as windows mobile?

Thank you for your answer

• Edited by Spiri91 Monday, April 6, 2015 4:07 PM
    Monday, April 6, 2015 4:05 PM
  • The best way for you to go is to use the same OS on all devices.

If not possible you will need to build two versions of your application. Yes, you would need to generate special CE CAB files to distribute your application. Likely you would have some source code difference as well. Due to UI difference you would need different forms for CE. 

Monday, April 6, 2015 4:48 PM
  • hello,

thank you again, i have just one more question, how can i test the windows ce version?  making another version wouldn't be hard, the testing is the problem because there are no emulators for windows ce.. is there any method beside deploying the app every time on the device? i will have a device very soon but it will be a windows mobile version. :(

why would they , motorola an windows , make another version that looks and behaves the same, motorola a windows ce version not a windows mobile, and windows a ce os 6,  and provide no emulators for that version....

anyway thank you.

• Edited by Spiri91 Monday, April 6, 2015 6:31 PM
    Monday, April 6, 2015 6:29 PM
  • Since CE devices are custom so are emulators for them. Check if vendor has an SDK for that device which may include emulator. That is how it suppose to be with CE.

If not then you would need to get a real device. Alternatively you can use CE 5 emulator.

That I do not know. I would say if there's demand then there's supply. Say, CE 6 can use more than 64 MB of virtual memory per process and is under support till 2018. WM is long out of support (though WEH 6.5 is till 2020). 

I'd say contact the vendor and see if devices can be reprogrammed to carry the same OS.

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 6:38 AM
  • thank you,

motorola doesn't provide any sdk for this device... only emdk for development under c++ or c# , and all windows ce emulators can't run on a 64b machine... :( i'll try to get a windows ce device for testing. still it's pretty ugly.

• Edited by Spiri91 Tuesday, April 7, 2015 6:57 AM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2015 6:56 AM