none
Printing to a non-PCL printer from WINCE 6.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to get printing over USB working on a WINCE 6.0 bsp.  All I wish to accomplish is printing small ASCII text files.

The MSDN documentation (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms893782.aspx)  says printing ASCII text to a non-PCL printer is possible but is rather vague on how to do this. I am able to print to a PCL capable USB printer by sending a PCL formatted buffer to it with the PrinterOpen/PrinterSend APIs.  I would like to know what to do in order to print a simple ASCII text string to a non-PCL printer.  It was probably wishful thinking but sending the raw ASCII does not work.

Thanks
    Ade

• Moved by Jesse Jiang Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:43 AM (From:Windows Mobile Development)
    Friday, July 8, 2011 1:38 AM

All replies

• You can use GDI apis like DrawText to draw simple text to the printer DC.

Thanks

Prakash

http://www.42gears.com
    [ SureMDM : Cloud based On-demand Mobile Device Management for Windows Mobile devices ]
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 11:10 AM
  • I don't believe this is the issue.  I can print to PCL printers using Wordpad but cannot print to non-PCL printers.  My issues seems to be the control language data getting sent to the printer.  When I print to my non PCL printer, the data sent from the device is in PCL format which the printer does not understand (and therefore does not print anything).

My non-PCL printer is a Dell 1100 laser printer which supports QPDL but not PCL. If I format the document in QPDL I can print ASCII text and pretty much anything I want.  In other words, I can print to my Dell printer if I use a driver that outputs QPDL.  I want to avoid forcing users of the device to install drivers for each printer that it will potentially be connected to.

MSDN gives the impression that out of the box, WINCE supports ASCII printing to non PCL printers (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms893782.aspx).  How this can be done is what I want to know.

Ade

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:54 PM
  • Hi Ade,

I think your issue should be raised in the Windows Embedded Compact Platform Development. I believe they will know more information of this issue than us, and I will move this one to that forum.

Thanks for your understanding,

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:43 AM
  • Hi Jesse,

That's exactly what I've done.  I'll update this thread when I get feedback.

Thanks

Ade

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:03 AM
  • Got feedback from Microsoft.  Basically, this can't be done with the WINCE printer driver and the Microsoft is going to fix the documentation.

Thanks

Ade

Sunday, August 7, 2011 7:23 PM