Number of Databases allowed for DocumentDB RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i am considering using Azure Document DB for an application that would allow its users to create many databases. To implement such a multiple database per user system , i need to be able to create an unlimited number of databases. Hence , does Document DB support the creation of unlimited number of databases ? 

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 11:30 AM

Answers

• Default limit is 100 DBs per subscription but you can increase that limit with custom value:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/documentdb/documentdb-increase-limits

Mustafa Toroman, Azure MVP

• Marked as answer by John Olafenwa Tuesday, January 24, 2017 2:24 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 12:23 PM
  • Though this answers your question but wanted to clarify that in Azure DocumentDB, database is just a logical container for collections. Number of collections is what you should manage based on your storage and throughput needed. Also since it's a NoSQL database service, you can have just one database and one collection and store all your documents in it schema free. There is no limit on how much data you can store in a collection. There is no reason for you to have that many databases as all the policies apply at collection level.

On a very high level, Databases(in RDMS) is equivalent to Collections(in DocumentDB).

Hope that helps!

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 3:00 PM

All replies

• Default limit is 100 DBs per subscription but you can increase that limit with custom value:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/documentdb/documentdb-increase-limits

Mustafa Toroman, Azure MVP

• Marked as answer by John Olafenwa Tuesday, January 24, 2017 2:24 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 12:23 PM
  • That's great. Thank you for the support. Now that i know the default limit and custom limits , i can design my applications to spread the data over a number of databases . 
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 2:30 PM
  • Though this answers your question but wanted to clarify that in Azure DocumentDB, database is just a logical container for collections. Number of collections is what you should manage based on your storage and throughput needed. Also since it's a NoSQL database service, you can have just one database and one collection and store all your documents in it schema free. There is no limit on how much data you can store in a collection. There is no reason for you to have that many databases as all the policies apply at collection level.

On a very high level, Databases(in RDMS) is equivalent to Collections(in DocumentDB).

Hope that helps!

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 3:00 PM
  • Thanks for the advice. I initially thought there might be performance issues if all the data resides in one collection . But since a collection is like a database and is limitless , there certainly can't be such degradation . That clarifies my inquiry. 
    Friday, February 3, 2017 1:58 AM
  • Hi Mustafa,

Is there any limit for no of collections per database account ?

Friday, January 19, 2018 12:04 PM