voice command usage RRS feed

• Question

• I am about to begin developing an application with the compact framework and want to use Voice Command 1.5 to speak a string of letters and numbers into a pda and have those letters and numbers appear on the form. Can this be done or is Voice Command 1.5 incompatible for this use? Judging by the manual for VC it looks like there are a set of predefined functions but no mention of any development capabilities. If I can't use VC then are there any suggestions for a product that can be used in this way? Thanks in advance!
    Friday, January 20, 2006 2:47 PM

Answers

• Sadly the license for Voice Command expressly forbids programmatic use of it's functionality. Microsoft licenses the speech engine used from a third-party and so are limited in what usage is allowed.

I've not seen any products specifically aimed at plugging in voice functionality into a Windows Mobile device and exposing an API - you'll either need to look at the big names such as ScanSoft who can provide a SAPI compliant voice engine, or more consumer oriented offerings which rarely provide an API.

I've certainly asked this question myself of Microsoft before, it's not a technical limitation but a licensing one, and hopefully can be improved on in a future generation of voice command.

Peter

Saturday, January 21, 2006 11:44 AM

All replies

• Sadly the license for Voice Command expressly forbids programmatic use of it's functionality. Microsoft licenses the speech engine used from a third-party and so are limited in what usage is allowed.

I've not seen any products specifically aimed at plugging in voice functionality into a Windows Mobile device and exposing an API - you'll either need to look at the big names such as ScanSoft who can provide a SAPI compliant voice engine, or more consumer oriented offerings which rarely provide an API.

I've certainly asked this question myself of Microsoft before, it's not a technical limitation but a licensing one, and hopefully can be improved on in a future generation of voice command.

Peter

Saturday, January 21, 2006 11:44 AM
  • Thanks! This is what I was afraid of.
    Monday, January 23, 2006 5:39 PM