Server Agent job failing but not writing to Error log RRS feed

• Question

• We recently migrated from Server 2003 to 2008 R2 running Microsoft SQL Management Studio 2008.  We've had a few bumps along the road but my main concern is a SQL Server Agent job that runs at 1:00 AM is failing part way through. Some of the work is done but not all. The Job Activity Monitor reports it failed but nothing goes in the Error Log. The job did run successfully last week during tests but these failures came after going live and bring over the latest data. 

I guess I really need help in diagnosing the lack of information in the Error Log. If I had that data I can begin to follow the bread crumbs to the actual problem.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 2:47 PM

Answers

• The Job Activity Monitor reports it failed but nothing goes in the Error Log.

The Agent writes error to it's own log file, called SQLAGENT.OUT, it's also located in LOG subfolder and you also can look it up in SSMS from node "SQL Server Agent"

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Sunday, October 26, 2014 9:19 AM
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 5:22 PM

All replies

• Start the Profiler before your job runs and it will help shed some light on the problem

Satish Kartan www.sqlfood.com

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 4:28 PM
  • The Job Activity Monitor reports it failed but nothing goes in the Error Log.

The Agent writes error to it's own log file, called SQLAGENT.OUT, it's also located in LOG subfolder and you also can look it up in SSMS from node "SQL Server Agent"

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Sunday, October 26, 2014 9:19 AM
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 5:22 PM