Upgrade LS project to 2012 Update 3 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've upgraded a LS project to 2012 Update 3. The project was originally built in 2011. The project contains a number of custom controls that reference the Lightswitch entities. The controls are in a separate SL project in the solution, this project referenced the application.common.dll in the common project.

It has been well documented that the common project is no longer. The problem is I cannot for the life of me figure out what dll to reference in the custom control project.

There is a similar thread, but unfortunately there is no answer. It is essential that the existing Silverlight client still works and the "new" HTML client will be a companion client.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 10:19 AM

Answers

• Thanks Nicole, I look forward to the official guidance.

However, I've come up with a work around. It's embarrassing it this long. I thought that I should include the "answer" for the benefits of others.

I haven't a replacement reference but what you can do is use LS's weakly type API, here is a useful blog post. The solution is to cast to IEntityObject (or IEntitySet - depending on what you are doing). Using this approach you can access all the members. The only disadvantages is that this is a weakly typed interface, in other words you won't get a compile time error if you've made a mistake. 

• Marked as answer by Mike Halhead Monday, October 7, 2013 3:34 AM
    • Edited by Mike Halhead Monday, October 7, 2013 3:35 AM
    Monday, October 7, 2013 3:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike-

I'm following up with members of our team to get more guidance on this.

Thanks,
    Nicole

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 6:06 PM
  • Thanks Nicole, I look forward to the official guidance.

However, I've come up with a work around. It's embarrassing it this long. I thought that I should include the "answer" for the benefits of others.

I haven't a replacement reference but what you can do is use LS's weakly type API, here is a useful blog post. The solution is to cast to IEntityObject (or IEntitySet - depending on what you are doing). Using this approach you can access all the members. The only disadvantages is that this is a weakly typed interface, in other words you won't get a compile time error if you've made a mistake. 

• Marked as answer by Mike Halhead Monday, October 7, 2013 3:34 AM
    • Edited by Mike Halhead Monday, October 7, 2013 3:35 AM
    Monday, October 7, 2013 3:34 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Sorry for the delayed response.  Our team's recommendation is exactly what you have done, which is to use the weakly typed API. 

Also, there is an Extensibility Toolkit that will be available for download from the Gallery shortly after the release of Visual Studio 2013 that will include detailed instructions on how to upgrade your existing extensions.

Thanks,

Nicole

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:25 PM
  • Thanks Nicole,

I look forward to seeing the extensibility tool kit.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:16 AM