none
Problem installing Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 and 4.8 on Two Physical Windows Server 2012 R2 x64 hosts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I'm unable to install 4.72 and 4.8 .NET on the two 2012 R2 x64 Physical servers. Has anyone dealt with a similar issue before and has a solution? - EventData

errorCode 0x80070005

Thanks in advance! 

- System

- Provider
    [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient [ Guid] {945A8954-C147-4ACD-923F-40C45405A658}
    EventID 20 Version 1 Level 2 Task 1 Opcode 13 Keywords 0x8000000000000028 - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2019-11-28T17:07:54.247990500Z
    EventRecordID 3422040 - Correlation
    [ ActivityID] {DB6D95C8-A605-0004-12FC-6DDB05A6D501}
    - Execution
    [ ProcessID] 176 [ ThreadID] 13136
    Channel System Computer XXXXXXXXXXXX  - Security
    [ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

errorCode 0x80070005 updateTitle Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 for Windows Server 2012 R2 for x64 (KB4054566) updateGuid {AFDA57EE-ACB9-43D3-94F8-4D6A2551C9C2} updateRevisionNumber 200 serviceGuid {3DA21691-E39D-4DA6-8A4B-B43877BCB1B7}
    Friday, November 29, 2019 5:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Etoya,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to your description,

>>I'm unable to install 4.72 and 4.8 .NET on the two 2012 R2 x64 Physical servers. 

## I suppose your meaning is that you meet the error code 0x80070005 during installing .NET Framework 4.7.2 and 4.8. But for .NET Framework 4.7.2 and 4.8, you install them on the same computer or separately on two Windows Server 2012 R2. If they are installed on an server, which one is installed firstly? If I misunderstand, please feel free to let me know.

Note: If you have installed the higher .NET Framework version, you can’t install a previous on the same machine.

In addition, I have something else to confirm with you. Could you share me which installer you used? Web installer or offline installer?

Please download the .NET framework 4.7.2 or 4.8 from here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/guide-for-developers#to-install-or-download-the-net-framework-redistributable

Then, before you install .NET Framework, please make sure that you have finished the steps below firstly:

#1. Turn off your anti-virus  software during installation.

#2. Try to update your windows to latest version

#3. Complete or dismiss Windows Update before installation, and don’t forget to turn it on later.

#4. Clean your %temp% folder, then, run the setup with Administrator privilege.

Besides, error code “0x80070005” often means “Access is denied”, I suggest you could try to use the SubInACL tool to repair file and registry permissions.

BTW, if the issue persists, I need your help to collect more installation log. Please download and run this collect.exe tool, go to %temp% folder and find the vslogs.zip file, upload it to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link in here. Please clean up the personal information like Cookies and Password before you share your log.

Hope all above will help you and any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Anna 

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Etoya Monday, December 2, 2019 9:08 PM
    Monday, December 2, 2019 7:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Etoya,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to your description,

>>I'm unable to install 4.72 and 4.8 .NET on the two 2012 R2 x64 Physical servers. 

## I suppose your meaning is that you meet the error code 0x80070005 during installing .NET Framework 4.7.2 and 4.8. But for .NET Framework 4.7.2 and 4.8, you install them on the same computer or separately on two Windows Server 2012 R2. If they are installed on an server, which one is installed firstly? If I misunderstand, please feel free to let me know.

Note: If you have installed the higher .NET Framework version, you can’t install a previous on the same machine.

In addition, I have something else to confirm with you. Could you share me which installer you used? Web installer or offline installer?

Please download the .NET framework 4.7.2 or 4.8 from here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/guide-for-developers#to-install-or-download-the-net-framework-redistributable

Then, before you install .NET Framework, please make sure that you have finished the steps below firstly:

#1. Turn off your anti-virus  software during installation.

#2. Try to update your windows to latest version

#3. Complete or dismiss Windows Update before installation, and don’t forget to turn it on later.

#4. Clean your %temp% folder, then, run the setup with Administrator privilege.

Besides, error code “0x80070005” often means “Access is denied”, I suggest you could try to use the SubInACL tool to repair file and registry permissions.

BTW, if the issue persists, I need your help to collect more installation log. Please download and run this collect.exe tool, go to %temp% folder and find the vslogs.zip file, upload it to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link in here. Please clean up the personal information like Cookies and Password before you share your log.

Hope all above will help you and any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Anna 

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Etoya Monday, December 2, 2019 9:08 PM
    Monday, December 2, 2019 7:06 AM
  • Hi Anna, just saw your post, looks like I figured it out, turns out the McAfee Endpoint Security managed in our domain by an external vendor was blocking (Error Code 0x80070005 reffers to access denied) KB4486105 and KB40545664 .NET updates. I emailed the security team and asked them to temporary disable the AV and was able to install these updates right away. Thanks!
    Monday, December 2, 2019 8:45 PM
  • BTW, had to remove .NET 4.8 update from two 2012 R2 fully updated servers with fully updated Veritas Backup Exec installed on them, the Backup Exec would not start after the .NET 4.8 install
    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 1:50 AM
  • Hi Etoya,

Thanks for your sharing and we are so glad to hear that your issue is solved.

If you have any other .NET Framework Setup and Servicing issue in the future, please feel free to let us know.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Anna

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 1:59 AM