none
How do i connect to my school server's database? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,recently,in my school, i am given a project to develop an app in vb.net that will connect to the school's server and any user using the software, can add data to the school server's database and can also retrieve data from the server's database.Can anyone kindly explain this idea to me, and tell me what to do ?
    Tuesday, September 26, 2017 5:08 PM

All replies

• Hi

Sounds very unlike a school assignment to me. By the time you are expected to be able to do such as this, you would also have a much better understanding of coding. So, asking that question seems out of place.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

• Proposed as answer by Devon_Nullman Tuesday, September 26, 2017 8:20 PM
    Tuesday, September 26, 2017 6:04 PM
  • First thing is, where is the server, locally, remote? Depending on this and the database e.g. SQL-Server, MySQL etc you can visit the following site for connection strings.

From there you decide on the .NET data provider e.g. for SQL-Server System.SqlClient, for MS-Access System.OleDb.

To connect, use the connection string in tangent with the data provider. From here the are multiple directions, for instance you a connection and command object to read, remove, edit or add data (I've simplified something that is simple but requires lines of code). Depending on what type of controls that will be used dictates how to bind to them.

The above is a high level reply especially since your question is high level lacking sufficient details. With more details will come deeper replies.

Here is a SQL-Server code sample

https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Windows-forms-detail-view-89372f21

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 6:54 PM
  • Hi

Sounds very unlike a school assignment to me. By the time you are expected to be able to do such as this, you would also have a much better understanding of coding. So, asking that question seems out of place.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

I'd add that at first look, this seems like a way to get Straight A's or give others D's or F's.
    Tuesday, September 26, 2017 8:22 PM
  • Hi Aousaf,

Based on your description, you could need to confirm who is the school database administrator? then you ask this administrator to create one new username and password to you. finally you could use the following connectionstring to connect school server's database.

Server=myServerAddress;Database=myDataBase;User Id=myUsername;
    Password=myPassword;

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 1:39 AM
  • It appears to me that the student is trying to hack into the school's database.

Solitaire

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 6:13 PM