Cannot connect to MS SQL Server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a big problem here with my MS SQL Server 2012. This is my first time to run MS SQL Server 2012 and when i try connecting, i keep seeing this error message:

"A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)"

I have tried implementing the proposed solutions that i saw on the forum concerning this problem but it is still not connecting. I am really frustrated. I don't know what do again. Please can some one help me out? I really want to use this DBMS for my studies. I will be very grateful for your help. 

Regards

Daryl

• Changed type Dan GuzmanMVP Saturday, March 1, 2014 3:48 PM question asked
    Saturday, March 1, 2014 3:17 AM

All replies

• Saturday, March 1, 2014 3:24 AM

• 1. Make sure SQL Server Service is running
    2. If a named instance, make sure SQL Server browser service is running
    3. Make sure SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections
    4. Examine the SQL Server error log for messages confirming that SQL is listening on the expected network interfaces and ports
    5. Test server connectivity with PING from the client machine
    6. Test port connectivity using TELNET or PowerShell to the server and port (from step 4) from the client machine.  For example
    a. TELNET <server-name> 1433
    b. PowerShell: 1433 | % { echo ((new-object Net.Sockets.TcpClient).Connect("YourServerName",$_)) "server listening on TCP port $_" }
    7. Check firewall settings if step 5 or 6 connectivity test fails

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

• Proposed as answer by Shanky_621MVP Sunday, March 2, 2014 10:39 AM
    Sunday, March 2, 2014 8:07 AM
  • Hello Shanky_621,

thank you very much for your proposal. i guess the real problem am facing here is that my SQL Server is not running. i tried running it several times but it keeps giving my this error message "The request failed of the server did not respond in timely fashion. Consult the event log or other applicable error logs for details". 

I actually don't understand why it keeps giving me this error message. 

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 12:12 PM
  • First check the SQL Server error log which you find in
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log
    Note that the exact path is installation dependent. But the final part should be MSSQL11./something/\MSSQL\Log. The most recent file is called ERRORLOG, the next most recent one is called ERRORLOG.1 etc.

Check that the dates match your start attempts. You only get a log if SQL Server starts and then fails. If the error is something like the service account not being valid, incorrect password etc, no log will be created. Check the Windows event log to see if there is anything useful.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Tuesday, March 4, 2014 10:11 PM
  • Hi Daryl,

How's everything going?

Please check the relative error message in the error log and application log as Erland suggested.

Thanks.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 10, 2014 9:07 AM
  • Hello Shanky_621,

thank you very much for your proposal. i guess the real problem am facing here is that my SQL Server is not running. i tried running it several times but it keeps giving my this error message "The request failed of the server did not respond in timely fashion. Consult the event log or other applicable error logs for details". 

I actually don't understand why it keeps giving me this error message. 

Ok atleast you found out what was the cause.Now can you go to run type services.msc and locate SQL server service there.Now try starting it ,if it gives error post it here.Immediately look for detailed error in event viewer in system and application logs (same as others suggested)

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Monday, March 10, 2014 9:15 AM