none
How to troubleshoot ReportViewer does not contain a definition for 'Reset' err RRS feed

• Question

• There is some information about this error in this forum.CS0117: 'Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportViewer' does not contain a definition for 'Reset'

However, I still am stuck with it.  Please advice.

My reportviewer DLLs are only in the bin folder.  The web.config has the references to httphandlers, buildproviders and assemblies.

On my dev machine, with VS studio  SP 1 things work.  On the production machine where the DLLs only reside in bin,

I got the error.  What am I mssing?

Where is the reset method?  Is it support on webforms?  In Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms.dll ?

I did download the reportviewer SP1 and extracted the DLLs.

Microsoft Report Viewer Redistributable 2005 SP1 (Full Installation)

Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common.dll  8.0.50727.817
    Microsoft.ReportViewer.ProcessingObjectModel.dll 8.0.50727.817
    Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms.dll 8.0.50727.817

Code: ... ..ReportDataBind()

{...

myReader = command.ExecuteReader();
          //Load Data from Data Reader to first datatable in Dataset object
            dsReport.Tables[0].Load(myReader);
            //provide local report information to viewer
            ReportViewer1.Reset();
            ReportViewer1.LocalReport.ReportPath = Server.MapPath("Dashboard-ListServers.rdlc");

//prepare report data source
            ReportViewer1.LocalReport.DataSources.Clear();
            ReportDataSource rds = new ReportDataSource();
            rds.Name = "dsListServers_dtServers";
            rds.Value = dsReport.Tables[0];
            ReportViewer1.LocalReport.DataSources.Add(rds);
            ReportViewer1.LocalReport.Refresh();

protected void RunButton_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            if (DropDownListProduct.SelectedValue != "")
            {
                ReportDataBind();
                ReportViewer1.LocalReport.Refresh();
            }   
        }

web.config

?xml version="1.0"?>

<buildProviders>

<add extension=".asbx" type="Microsoft.Web.Services.BridgeBuildProvider"/>

<add extension=".rdlc" type="Microsoft.Reporting.RdlBuildProvider, Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />

</buildProviders>

<assemblies>

<add assembly="System.Design, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>

<add assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A" />

<add assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A" />

</assemblies>

</compilation>

<!--

ASMX is mapped to a new handler so that proxy javascripts can also be served.

-->

<httpHandlers>

<remove verb="*" path="*.asmx"/>

<add verb="*" path="*.asmx" type="Microsoft.Web.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory" validate="false"/>

<add path="Reserved.ReportViewerWebControl.axd" verb="*" type="Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.HttpHandler, Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"

validate="false" />

Sunday, November 11, 2007 4:50 AM

All replies

• >>8.0.50727.817

FWIW My version is 8.0.50727.762 and it works for me...

You're absolutely, totally sure that the server doesn't have another copy of the DLLs anywhere?

>L<

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:20 AM
  • This type of thing has proved a real pain in the arse for me as well.

What you need to do is ensure that in all places that you have the correct versions.

.817 is the latest and it must be in the following places:

If you have VS

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\ReportViewer

and your global assembly cache.

Ensure that you run ReportViewer.exe found at

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E7D661BA-DC95-4EB3-8916-3E31340DDC2C&displaylang=en

You must run that on any machine that will be running your application.  So if you have a fresh server it does not matter that your development machine has the correct versions and your build uses the correct versions or even that you have the correct version in the bin folder of your web app.  If the server it is running on has old version in it's GAC it will not work.

Yes it is annoying.  Treat the ReportViewer.exe like a windows service pack -- it must be installed on the server that is running your web app.

after that you should be fine, well reboot IIS after it is installed and then it should be fine Smile

Friday, November 23, 2007 5:20 AM
  •  

Just replace

ReportViewer1.Reset();

with

ReportViewer1.LocalViewer.Reset();

Monday, April 21, 2008 7:44 PM