none
I need to know what attributes the Outlook 2k7 and 2k10 Availability Service requires to be able to display F/B data in Public Folder mail objects. RRS feed

• Question

• Objective:

Import/Export Free/Busy data from/to an external source into Exchange 2010 SP1 Public Folders to be associated with Contact objects in the Exchange org.  (similar to how the InterOrg Replication tool worked in 2003.)

Environment:

Exchange 2010 SP1 (RU3v3)

Outlook 2k3, 2k7 and 2k10 clients, and OWA

Implementation: 

The main document I referred to was MS-OXOPFFB

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc425495(v=exchg.80).aspx

Secondarily, I referred to MS-OXPROPS for property type details referenced from the above

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc433490(v=exchg.80).aspx

Problem experienced:

The Export of Free/Busy data is working without issue.  The import of Free/Busy data is partially working.  After the data is imported,  Outlook 2k3 clients can retrieve Free/Busy info for Contact objects.  Outlook 2k7 and 2k10 clients show the time as free for all of the contacts. 

Engaged Exchange Tier 3 Support.  They confirmed that in Exchange SP1 the Availability Service is used for  all versions of Outlook from 2k3 on.  Prior to SP1, Outlook 2k3 retrieved F/B directly from the PF.  In SP1, this was encapsulated for O365 compatibility.  Exchange Support Suspects that the Availability service for Olk2k7 and newer requires more data attributes than the Olk 2k3 Availability Service.  Thus, I need to know what attributes the Outlook 2k7 and 2k10 Availability Service requires to be able to display F/B data.

Secondary question:

An alternate method I'm investigating for the same goal:

Instead of using a contact to represent the remote object, use a full mailbox instead.  Set the SMTPForwardingAddress of that mailbox to deliver to the remote contact (not sure if this will function as expected if the mail attribute is set the same) so no mail is stored locally; then use EWS to create placeholder meetings as replicated from the remote side.  Then the availability service should work without being "tricked".

Does this make sense?

Thank you

Friday, June 24, 2011 7:46 PM

Answers

• Because we took this discussion offline, for the benefit of the other forum readers, Exhange 2010 does not support the use of public folders for free/busy data directly.  Exhange 2003 must store the data in public folders and then Exchange 2010 will forward requests to Exhange 2003. 

Thanks,

Tom

• Marked as answer by Tom Jebo MSFT Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:14 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:14 PM

All replies

• Hi, nowakca,

Thanks for your question.  One of our team member will work on it and respond to you soon.

Thanks!

Hongwei Sun -MSFT
    Friday, June 24, 2011 8:14 PM
  • Re-tested the secondary question...  having the ForwardingSMTPAddress of a mailbox be the same address as the mailbox will not cause mail to forward.  Even if DeliverAndRedirect is false.

It seems the only possible solution to make an external non-Exchange system available to show Free/Busy is to use the Public Folder mechanism.

Friday, June 24, 2011 9:21 PM
  • Hi nowakca,

I will look into this for you and will get back to you shortly.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 2:40 PM
  • nowakca,

Also, can you please send an email to dochelp at Microsoft.com so that we can discuss the support case you worked with Exchange Tier 3 support?  Just reference this thread URL and my name.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 2:42 PM
  • nowakca,

I am the engineer who has taken ownership of this issue for Tom Jebo.

I am reviewing all of the information regarding your questions and will follow-up with you shortly.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:53 PM
  • Because we took this discussion offline, for the benefit of the other forum readers, Exhange 2010 does not support the use of public folders for free/busy data directly.  Exhange 2003 must store the data in public folders and then Exchange 2010 will forward requests to Exhange 2003. 

Thanks,

Tom

• Marked as answer by Tom Jebo MSFT Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:14 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:14 PM