none
Biztalk Workflow - Reference Implementation/Material RRS feed

• Question

• New to BizTalk Orchestration.  We have a requirement to create a workflow/orchestration in BizTalk 2010 which involves 3 WCF services. Each service is responsible for an activity (Create Order, Create Invoice, and Process Payment). Our LOB application would initiate the workflow. The workflow should run the activities by calling the services in a sequential fashion and return the response to LOB application. I’m looking for a reference implementation for the similar scenario. Please let me know the relevant resources related to this topic. We are considering ESB Toolkit at this point. Once we have the workflow up and running, we will leverage ESB Toolkit in future. Appreciate your inputs.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For BizTalk and WCF see these series of posts. These posts contain a lot of samples/code for implementations WCF + BizTalk. For your scenario you either can have one orchestration calling eacg service subsequently or have a parent (main) orchestration calling three seperate orchestrations (childs).

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers
    MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server 2010
    http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/
    If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    • Marked as answer by arasheed Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:13 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:26 PM

All replies

• I am sorry, I did not understand about your consideration of tools. For given requirement, you could implement a solution using Windows Workflow (leveraging LOB Adapters) or BizTalk orchestration or ESB ToolKit.

As per your statement, "Once we have the workflow up and running, we will leverage ESB Toolkit in future" are you currently implementing the solution using WWF? If yes, why do you then need ESB tool kit?

Please mark it as answer by clicking on "Propose As Answer", if it helps. My Blog : http://dotnetizen.blogspot.com
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:17 PM
  • Hi,

For BizTalk and WCF see these series of posts. These posts contain a lot of samples/code for implementations WCF + BizTalk. For your scenario you either can have one orchestration calling eacg service subsequently or have a parent (main) orchestration calling three seperate orchestrations (childs).

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers
    MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server 2010
    http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/
    If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    • Marked as answer by arasheed Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:13 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:26 PM
  • Thanks Rajesh. We want to implement a Orchestration using BizTalk will make calls to 3 services in a sequnetial fashion. I'm looking for a reference implementation (sample or step-by-step walkthrough) related to this topic.
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:32 PM
  • Thanks Steve. I will go-through them. We are looking for one orchestration calling each service.
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:33 PM
  • I would suggest visiting the MS product site for BizTalk and the MSDN resources, there are some really cool product diagram posters and rich information availible to you there also.
    :P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:09 PM