Mouse drag operation failed. Editing is not allowed for this DataSet.. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am using Visual Studio 2008 and SQL SERVER Management Studio Express 2005.

I am getting this error when I try to drag a dataset. Please help me to resolve this problem as soon as possible.

Regards,

Developer051

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 7:34 AM

Answers

All replies

• QUOTED: I spent a LOT of time running down the solution to this problem.  There were 
    plenty of references to failing a mouse drag operation to the dataset and 
    finally I got the clue 'Could not load file or assembly 
    'Microsoft.SqlServer.Types'.   It cleared up after I installed the 'Microsoft 
    SQL Server System CLR Types ' from 
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/9/a/b9a78047-d269-4a25-88a1-9c4321d9067
    7/instructions_enu.htm

I hope it helps to salve your problem.

Mitja

• Proposed as answer by Helen Zhou Monday, December 6, 2010 3:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Helen Zhou Tuesday, December 7, 2010 3:38 AM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 9:36 AM
  • Really quick solution (VS2005) - check the "ZOrder" attribute of the DataSets in the underlying .xss file.

I had the same problem, but only when I opened one of the XSD designers in Visual Studio. All the others worked fine.

I found out that 2 of my DataSet Shapes had the same "ZOrder" value ("2") when I opened the XSS file:-

<DiagramLayout xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" ex:showrelationlabel="False" ViewPortX="7" ViewPortY="15" xmlns:ex="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-msdatasource-layout-extended" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-msdatasource-layout">
      <Shapes>
        <Shape ID="DesignTable:DataTable1" ZOrder="2" X="26" Y="44" Height="827" Width="258" AdapterExpanded="true" DataTableExpanded="true" OldAdapterHeight="0" OldDataTableHeight="0" SplitterPosition="823" />
        <Shape ID="DesignTable:DataTable2" ZOrder="2" X="704" Y="458" Height="130" Width="204" AdapterExpanded="true" DataTableExpanded="true" OldAdapterHeight="0" OldDataTableHeight="0" SplitterPosition="126" />
      </Shapes>
      <Connectors />
    </DiagramLayout>

I made them different (set one of them to "1", kept the other one as "2") and the DataSet was immediately editable in the designer.

Hurray!

Friday, October 14, 2011 2:32 PM
  • Really quick solution (VS2005) - check the "ZOrder" attribute of the DataSets in the underlying .xss file.

I had the same problem, but only when I opened one of the XSD designers in Visual Studio. All the others worked fine.

I found out that 2 of my DataSet Shapes had the same "ZOrder" value ("2") when I opened the XSS file:-

<DiagramLayout xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" ex:showrelationlabel="False" ViewPortX="7" ViewPortY="15" xmlns:ex="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-msdatasource-layout-extended" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-msdatasource-layout">
      <Shapes>
        <Shape ID="DesignTable:DataTable1"ZOrder="2" X="26" Y="44" Height="827" Width="258" AdapterExpanded="true" DataTableExpanded="true" OldAdapterHeight="0" OldDataTableHeight="0" SplitterPosition="823" />
        <Shape ID="DesignTable:DataTable2" ZOrder="2" X="704" Y="458" Height="130" Width="204" AdapterExpanded="true" DataTableExpanded="true" OldAdapterHeight="0" OldDataTableHeight="0" SplitterPosition="126" />
      </Shapes>
      <Connectors />
    </DiagramLayout>

I made them different (set one of them to "1", kept the other one as "2") and the DataSet was immediately editable in the designer.

Hurray!

I was having the exact same issue and this fixed it right up for me!

Thursday, May 3, 2012 7:50 PM
  • I had the same issue in VS2010.  Open up your project in Windows Explorer and navigate to where the collection of files are.  Note that if your project is housed in TFS, you first have to go check-out the file, otherwise you get a "read only" error. 

I had a HUGE number of tables in this particular dataset, so I pasted the code into an Excel spreadsheet, used a few Find functions to locate "ZOrder" in each line, and extract the ZOrder items.  (They are NOT in numerical order in the file!)  Then I sorted the extract numbers, and found the duplicates.  I had about 75 items, so when ZOrder="2" was a duplicate in my resulting spreadsheet, I searched for ZOrder="2" twice, and then set the second one to ZOrder="91"  (apparently you can use any number above the range).  I did this for 2 more duplicate ZOrders.  Then back in VS2010, close the errant XSD diagram, re-open it, and now you can drag, edit, add queries, etc.

--Ray

Ray

Monday, November 11, 2013 6:53 PM
  • I'm using 2012, and this still hasn't been resolved.  I just found your response...you're still saving lives.

Thanks a ton!

Friday, September 19, 2014 8:33 PM
  • This happened to me as a result of a merge from another branch.  This saved me a LOT of time.

Thank you.

Friday, January 16, 2015 4:32 PM
  • Just found this solution and... it worked..

Thanks a lot!!!

Saturday, November 5, 2016 12:29 PM
  • I just have the same problem.

I solved the solution with deleting the ".xss" file and reopening the dataset designer.

Sunday, October 8, 2017 1:24 PM
  • Great!!!! Exactly what i need.
    Thursday, January 3, 2019 1:15 PM
  • Deleting the ".xss" resulted in an error for me. However: deleting the <Shapes> node in that file worked for me.
    • Edited by Ben Lit Wednesday, July 31, 2019 1:12 PM
    Wednesday, July 31, 2019 1:11 PM