add-ins are deprecated RRS feed

• Question

• In the Visual Studio 2013 help I read that "add-ins are deprecated in VS 2013. They should be replaced with VS extensions". At first I thought this meant my Office add-ins created with VS-2013 are being made obsolete, too. But now I'm wondering if Office add-ins aren't still with us (at least through 2016) and that it's only add-ins for VS itself that this comment applies to.

Can you clarify this for me?

Friday, May 29, 2015 3:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Gordon

It would help if you could give us a link to the text to which you're referring, because otherwise we're basically guessing. However...

Office Add-ins, based on the IDT2Extensibilty interface, are NOT deprecated. They will continue to work as always - but (as always) only with the Desktop versions of Office (through 2016 and probably a number of versions to come, same as VBA is still with us).

The caveat is that Microsoft is changing / extending the definition of the term "Office Add-ins" to mean/include what was introduced as "Apps for Office". This is a recent development which will probably be confusing for all of us for the next few years :-) The "Apps for Office" types of Add-ins will run not only on the Desktop, but also in on-line and mobile versions. The first ones for Excel already exist. See the gray "Note" area here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj220060.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Friday, May 29, 2015 4:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Gordon

It would help if you could give us a link to the text to which you're referring, because otherwise we're basically guessing. However...

Office Add-ins, based on the IDT2Extensibilty interface, are NOT deprecated. They will continue to work as always - but (as always) only with the Desktop versions of Office (through 2016 and probably a number of versions to come, same as VBA is still with us).

The caveat is that Microsoft is changing / extending the definition of the term "Office Add-ins" to mean/include what was introduced as "Apps for Office". This is a recent development which will probably be confusing for all of us for the next few years :-) The "Apps for Office" types of Add-ins will run not only on the Desktop, but also in on-line and mobile versions. The first ones for Excel already exist. See the gray "Note" area here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj220060.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Friday, May 29, 2015 4:52 PM
  • Here's what I was looking at: "Visual Studio add-ins are deprecated in Visual Studio 2013. You should upgrade your add-ins to VSPackage extensions."

https://msdn.microsoft.com/EN-US/library/5abkeks7(v=VS.120,d=hv.2).aspx

But I understand what I need about Office add-ins. Thanks for your response.

Saturday, May 30, 2015 11:24 AM
  • Hi Gordon

Thanks for the link :-) Yes, as you surmised, this applies soley to Visual Studio and has nothing to do with Office.

Saturday, May 30, 2015 4:19 PM