Windows 2003+SQL 2005 cluster in place upgrade to 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am having a weird situation to upgrade a cluster. The cluster is an active-active windows 2003 having 2 instances of sql cluster. My client wants them to be upgraded in place both.

Is it a preferred method ?

anyone has tried this option...the draft plan is like this...

1) Failover all the resources to one node

2) Evict one node from the cluster and remove all the SAN links and built it as a single node cluster with Windows 2008 and SQL 2008 with the same instance names

3) Move the databases to SQL 2008

4) repeat the steps for the other node also...

Is this plan worth a try ?

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 4:32 AM

Answers

• Hi Nimesh,

Is it a preferred method ?

Yes. Since the in place upgrade will reduce the downtime of SQL Server, it is a recommended method generally.

Is this plan worth a try ?

If the cluster is in use, the plan you provided above will require you to modify the connection string used by client. Since two clustering with same virtual name and IP is not allowed in the same domain, the plan you provided will lead to two clusters with different virtual name and IP. The second cluster will have a different virtual name and IP from the old cluster.

For more information about “How to: Upgrade a SQL Server Failover Cluster Instance (Setup)”, you could refer to this link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191295%28SQL.100%29.aspx

If anything is unclear, please let me know.

• Marked as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:16 AM
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 9:43 AM