Server error: The folder that would hold URL "XXX/images" does not exsist on the server RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to EW, switching over from FP.

Today, I added photos to a page and tried to save the page and this is the error that I received:

Server error: The folder that would hold URL "Images/xxxx.jpg" does not exsist on the server.

Now, I can't save the page (or all the hours of work). What do I do?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:36 PM

All replies

• Why the capital I in Images?

EW didn't create it with a capital letter.

Expression Web MVP

• Edited by Steve Easton Tuesday, February 14, 2012 11:30 PM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 11:13 PM
  • Are you editing live?  Sounds like it, or there would be no server error when trying to save a page. 

If so, don't.  Edit a local copy of your site on your PC, then publish your changes.

As to what to do, it's hard to say, since all we can possibly know is that ... well, something is asking for a folder that doesn't exist.  Are your image links correct?

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 11:41 PM
  • I just went in and checked, and I am the one that created the "Images" folder, and therefore capatilized it. Just went to rename it and it give the warning that it would effect all the pictures, so I'm going to leave it for now.

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:34 PM
  • I understand in theory what 'editing live' means, but since I've never published my website since installing or using EW (the exsisting one is still up and active having been created with FP), I don't know how it could be 'live'.

Additionally, while I can't explain it technically, after clicking on a bunch of things, came to realize that since the pictures were imported from a MSWord document the image was linked to a local file on my computer.

After importing all the pictures into EW, I went back and manually linked all the pictures via 'picture properties' and was then able to save the document.

Thanks for your response!

Karen

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:38 PM
  • I understand in theory what 'editing live' means, but since I've never published my website since installing or using EW (the exsisting one is still up and active having been created with FP), I don't know how it could be 'live'.

Which means that you are editing live. "Editing live" means working on the actual, remote site on the server, instead of locally on a copy on your local machine, then publishing the changes up to the server. It is called editing "live" because every time you make a change, it is instantly live on the Internet, for all the world to see, warts, screwups, tests, trials, and all. It also does not provide for a local backup in case the worst happens and the server dies (which does happen; we've seen it here).

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 12:02 AM