Getting the design and code view to come up. RRS feed

• Question

• I have in the site view a short test document, a few K only, but can't seem to get it to the design and code and split page. HELP!
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 8:15 PM

Answers

• I figured it out, opened New Page and design and code came up then opened the word doc and did the copy and paste thing into the new page. Thanks for all the help!
    • Marked as answer by medwoman Thursday, February 4, 2010 10:12 PM
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 10:12 PM

All replies

• ???
    Did you try double-clicking it? If so, what happened?

cheers,
    scott
    C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 8:18 PM
  • Is it a .html or a .aspx document?

A .txt document will not initiate design split or code view.

Expression Web MVP
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Easton Friday, February 5, 2010 7:47 PM
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 8:22 PM
  • Ah, yes. Good point. I made the assumption that when she said "test document" she meant a Web-format document, and we all know what happens when you assume...  ;-)

cheers,
    scott
    C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 8:26 PM
  • It is a word 2003 doc and when I double click, it comes up as such. I thought it would translate to an html page. Is it not possible to do that? You maybe can tell I am a newbie:)
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 10:08 PM
  • I figured it out, opened New Page and design and code came up then opened the word doc and did the copy and paste thing into the new page. Thanks for all the help!
    • Marked as answer by medwoman Thursday, February 4, 2010 10:12 PM
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 10:12 PM
  • No, not only would it not do that, it would be a very, very bad idea indeed if it did. Word is designed to produce print documents, and what passes for Web markup produced from Word is atrociously bad, incompatible across browsers, and easily broken and hard to modify.

See the BEFORE POSTING sticky post at the top of the forum thread list for a respectable compendium of instructional and tutorial resources. Seriously, do yourself a very large favor and learn something about the Web before you try to design and develop for it.

cheers,
    scott
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 10:33 PM
  • Oh, dear.  Do NOT copy and paste a word document into an HTML page: the result is garbage code, with very mixed results on how it will display in various browsers.

Copy the text, only, in, and style it yourself in EW.  Word is not a web page builder.
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 11:18 PM
  • Don't copy and paste from Word or you will get proprietary code that is bloated and may not even render properly on the web, especially in non-Microsoft browsers. Part 2 of the Basic Webiste tutorial http://by-expression.com/media/p/1296.aspx shows you how to bring content in from Word w/o the garbage code. Though you'd probably be better off starting from the very beginning of the video http://by-expression.com/content/tutorials.aspx

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Friday, February 5, 2010 3:50 PM