none
Problems with Intellisense

Question

• Hi, I am experiencing some problems with Intellisense.

For instance I am using a variable U

When I type the U, intellisense selects U in the listbox and is highlighted.

When I type the .  the variable changes to chDNUP.

The next problem arises when I use the backspace after typing something behind the dot and erase all behind the variable I recieve an Object reference not set to an instance of an Object error box (from the editor)

Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2015 for Windows Desktop
    Version 14.0.23107.0 D14REL
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.6.01055

Installed Version: Desktop Express

Visual Basic 2015   00325-20000-00000-AA544
    Microsoft Visual Basic 2015

Visual C# 2015   00325-20000-00000-AA544
    Microsoft Visual C# 2015

Visual C++ 2015   00325-20000-00000-AA544
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2015

Common Azure Tools   1.5
    Provides common services for use by Azure Mobile Services and Microsoft Azure Tools.

GenerateUnitTest   1.0
    Generates unit test code for methods in classes under test.

NuGet Package Manager   3.0.0
    NuGet Package Manager in Visual Studio. For more information about NuGet, visit http://docs.nuget.org/.

SQL Server Data Tools   14.0.50616.0
    Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools

What would I possibly have to do to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Lambert

L. Knapen

• Edited by Lambertus57 Saturday, March 19, 2016 9:03 AM
    Saturday, March 19, 2016 9:01 AM

Answers

• Hi  Lambert,

Please try to restore the setting of your Visual Studio then try it again.(Tools->Import and Export Settings->Restore the settings)

I did a test in my side using VS2015 Community Update1. For the two scenarios you mentioned. It works well in my side for both two scenarios.

So I suggest you could restore the default setting of your VS then try it again, is still no help, I suggest you could use VS 2015 Community Update1 instead of using Visual Studio Express 2015 for Windows Desktop.

The VS2015 Community is a free version of VS and the function is better than VS2015 Express.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, March 21, 2016 6:13 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thats certainly something but not to worry.  Its easy to name change your variable.

As for the backspace editing and error message. When you have a proper syntax the

error message should go away.  I dont know the technical side or even why Intellisense

does what it does sometimes. I do know that there is a continuous document scan.

Which I rather like. Sorry if this doesnt solve your issue. Perhaps you can check the

Intellisense settings.

Goodluck! :)

Saturday, March 19, 2016 3:41 PM
  • Hello, normally I would agree with changing the variablename to be simple, but in this case it is a reference to a modulename containing all my utilities. I will try to change it anyhow. The changing of the variable name if it happens all occur in the same module. Can this be a clue to what's wrong?

Thanks,

Lambert

L. Knapen

Saturday, March 19, 2016 7:34 PM
  • Hello,

Normally, if Intellisense wants to change like variable name to something else then you get a confirmation

that ask if you want a preview or not. Did you get something along that?  Have you looked in the Class

Explorer pane? Perhaps there is a problem that can be seen as it does list abundant info about the app

and classes. Thanks. :)

Sunday, March 20, 2016 2:14 AM
  • Hi  Lambert,

Please try to restore the setting of your Visual Studio then try it again.(Tools->Import and Export Settings->Restore the settings)

I did a test in my side using VS2015 Community Update1. For the two scenarios you mentioned. It works well in my side for both two scenarios.

So I suggest you could restore the default setting of your VS then try it again, is still no help, I suggest you could use VS 2015 Community Update1 instead of using Visual Studio Express 2015 for Windows Desktop.

The VS2015 Community is a free version of VS and the function is better than VS2015 Express.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, March 21, 2016 6:13 AM
  • Ok, Basically I have changed the variable name to something else but the problems continued.

The problem was greater, Many incorrect returns from Intellisense.

Maybe a restart of the Visual Studio has done the trick, I don't know.

But the problem has fixed itself. So it was a temporarily hickup in intellisense.

It was unneccessary to change the variable name, which didn't make sense at all, before it worked ok.

Thanks for the support.

Lambert

L. Knapen

Friday, March 25, 2016 5:00 PM