Could not load the DLL xpstar90.dll, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: 126 RRS feed

• Question

• hi team i am using sql 2005 cluster in 2 node , its active / active ..one of the node cluster is not starting....actually i tried to move the cluster resource to nodeb its coming online and goes offline and becoming online at nodea ... i checked the error logs its shows this error 

Using 'xpsqlbot.dll' version '2005.90.4035' to execute extended stored procedure 'xp_qv'. This is an informational message only; no user action is required.
    2012-03-07 21:41:56.28 spid52      Error: 17750, Severity: 16, State: 0.
    2012-03-07 21:41:56.28 spid52      Could not load the DLL xpstar90.dll, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: 126(The specified module could not be found.).
    2012-03-07 21:41:56.28 spid52      Error: 14658, Severity: 16, State: 1.
    2012-03-07 21:41:56.28 spid52      Failed to retrieve SQLPath for syssubsystems population.
    2012-03-07 21:41:56.30 spid52      Configuration option 'Agent XPs' changed from 1 to 0. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.
    2012-03-07 21:41:58.47 spid14s     Service Broker manager has shut down.
    2012-03-07 21:41:58.52 spid7s      SQL Server is terminating in response to a 'stop' request from Service Control Manager. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.
    2012-03-07 21:41:58.52 spid7s      SQL Trace was stopped due to server shutdown. Trace ID = '1'. This is an informational message only; no user action is required.

ANY SUGGESTION TO SOLVE THIS ....

Thursday, March 8, 2012 6:16 PM

Answers

• Hi binoyedl,

Could not load the DLL xpstar90.dll, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: 126(The specified module could not be found.).

By looking at the error messages, the DLL xpstar90.dll may be corrupt and not available. You could replace the DLLxpstar90.dll from other computer which is installed the same version and edition SQL Server.

If it is not work for you, you could uninstall SQL Native client from Add remove program and reinstall it. In addition, you could try to install the latest SQL Server Service Pack to see that if it would be work.

Thanks,
    Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Thursday, April 5, 2012 3:05 AM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:08 AM
  • Hi,

Now since everything is on single node therefore there is no point in having another node attached to this cluster which is not getting online.

I would advise you to remove this node from cluster & re install the sql server ( same version as other node and ideally with same hardware config). Apply the latest patch and then re add this to cluster back.Confirm failover is working fine between the nodes.

Ideally it is recommended to exclude sql server data files .mdf,.ndf & .ldf and sql server backup files .bak from the antivirus scan as they can hold the files during scan and can cause issues and file corruption.

Not sure if it can impact sql binaries or dll's too.

Regards, Vishal Srivastava

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:00 AM

All replies

• Can you check if any of the SQL binaries on this specific node have deleted / tampered with?

You can compare them against the folder in other cluster node where cluster resources were online without any issues

Thanks

Sethu Srinivasan[MSFT]

SQL Server

http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlagent

Thursday, March 8, 2012 7:05 PM
  • Hi Sethu 

thanks for your info , how  i will confirm like the file got tampered , i had counted the files and its seems same ....  i thing symantec AV made some trouble , even our backup software also got corrupted that we reinstalled , now i basically fear to touch the node because its in cluster ... somewhere i had read like reinstallation of sql native client will solve the problem .....  how i can do that without disturbing the cluster .... i mean now both the sql instance running on other node ... i doubts like weather its disturb other node

Sunday, March 11, 2012 6:53 AM
  • Hi binoyedl,

Could not load the DLL xpstar90.dll, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: 126(The specified module could not be found.).

By looking at the error messages, the DLL xpstar90.dll may be corrupt and not available. You could replace the DLLxpstar90.dll from other computer which is installed the same version and edition SQL Server.

If it is not work for you, you could uninstall SQL Native client from Add remove program and reinstall it. In addition, you could try to install the latest SQL Server Service Pack to see that if it would be work.

Thanks,
    Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Thursday, April 5, 2012 3:05 AM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:08 AM
  • Hi,

Now since everything is on single node therefore there is no point in having another node attached to this cluster which is not getting online.

I would advise you to remove this node from cluster & re install the sql server ( same version as other node and ideally with same hardware config). Apply the latest patch and then re add this to cluster back.Confirm failover is working fine between the nodes.

Ideally it is recommended to exclude sql server data files .mdf,.ndf & .ldf and sql server backup files .bak from the antivirus scan as they can hold the files during scan and can cause issues and file corruption.

Not sure if it can impact sql binaries or dll's too.

Regards, Vishal Srivastava

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:00 AM
  • Hello,

The thread below might help you.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointadmin/thread/6e37ac88-bc0e-4a19-984d-8a06bf107066/

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:38 AM