Remove SQL Server 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have SQL Server 2008 r2 Express addition installed on a Virtual XP mchine on a Windows 7 machine

I have removed all SQL Server programs in the Add/Remove Control Panel option except

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SetUp(English)

I want to reinstall either

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2  Developer Edition

Microsoft SQL Server 2005  Developer Edition

I have not yet decided which version is best for my situation

When I attempt to remove Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2

The validation of the Support Rules says it skipped one rule which says

Long Path name to files or SQL Server installatio media shown as not applicable

In the detail under heading Media path Length it says "This rule does not apply to your system configuration

When I log into the Configuation Manager in my copy of SQL Server 2008 R2 I have not found any way to apply the information required by the Support Rules to allow me to continue with the Unistall

I have also attempted to uninstall Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Set Up (English), which returns a message saying the following must be removed first

SQL Server 2008 R2 components: Common Files; Database Engine Shared; Database Engine Services; and RsFx Driver

I assume when I uninstall "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2" I will be able to uninstall the Set Up

You help will be much appreciated

Monday, October 24, 2011 7:50 AM

Answers

• Hi contip,

I think the rule ‘MediaPathLength’ skipped has no influence in removing ‘Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2’. Can you click the ‘ok’ button after ‘Setup Support Rules’ was completed? If you can, it means you can uninstall the ‘Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2’ normally.
    You can uninstall ‘Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SetUp(English)’  after you have uninstalled ‘Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2’ already.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Iric
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Proposed as answer by Iric Wen Monday, October 31, 2011 1:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Tuesday, November 1, 2011 7:05 AM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:32 AM