Updating a site with two computers RRS feed

• Question

• I've searched the forum (and checked out the laughable "related topics" that the forum software suggested when I entered the title of the post), and I can't find a mention of exactly this problem.

I created a site for a computer services firm that I also work for (creating sites for their clients). It's mostly an HTML site, with a WordPress blog PHP page or two folded in, and it's been live for a few months. The owner of the firm wants to make some edits to the new site--much more than could be handled by a CMS--renaming things, creating internal links, etc., all with the goal of tweaking it for better SEO (don't get me started). He has EW3 (and is installing SP2 at my warning) and he's done some work with it (but mostly FP in the past), so he can do the work he wants (although it's mostly snake oil SEO stuff).

But--if he renames pages, etc. that's gonna invalidate the metadata in my computer's vti folders. The site's not going to match what my computer thinks is there. If I then have to work on the site, I have a problem. Is it as simple as downloading the changed pages and recalculating hyperlinks? Is there something I haven't thought of (or worrying too much about?).

In my searches I found posts about people sharing development duties on different computers, but I have a feeling this is different, because it's live and he specifically mentioned changing page names.

Any ideas?

I dream of a better world...a world in which a chicken can cross the road without its motives being questioned.
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 1:08 AM

Answers

• EW on two computers, even editing the same files in a DropBox, will have two sets of publishing metadata, I believe.

What should work is if each person first synched up with the changes already made by the other, by publishing the changed files *down*. EW will do this for you if you ask, but given that not everyone is finding EW's idenfication of changed files to be always correct or consistent, try it with care.

Otherwise you're left with sending a note to one another with a list of changed files to download before making any further edits.

And of course, all bets are off if you are both editing the same file at the same time.

• Marked as answer by Bill Pearson Thursday, April 29, 2010 10:21 PM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:39 PM

All replies

• My wife and I both work on a site for a local animal shelter. We are now to the point that some of the files on my computer are wrong and some on her computer are wrong and we are not sure exactly what is what. We have been getting in trouble by editing a page and finding out we revered to something a few revisions old. It's time that we both re-imported the whole site.

When EW first loads up a site, it goes into a long trance/seance before it wakes up. After all that time it would be nice if it knew that files on the server were newer than ones on my local machine and suggest something.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 2:46 AM
  • I'm in the same boat...we did a 'dropbox' thinking that would cure it.  the delay on EW3 in rendering the site has me and my co-worker (diff locations) 'fixing' each others edits all day. We did this to avoid the 30-40 min up/download times and it seems to have killed our productivity.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 10:37 PM
  • This relates in a general way to two other processes - handing off a site to another party and moving your own development work from an old to new computer. In both these cases and Bill's original posit, the problem is that EW's meta view of the site gets out of whack.

EW touts its ability to integrate with Microsoft's Team Foundation Server for source code control, but there is almost no information about actually doing that. Besides, it does not address any of the issues here, especially if there is no centralized development environment.

So what's needed is some way to sync two instances of a site. That way TB and his wife could sync up their respective instances every so oftem (perhaps every time they started to do some work). Or EW could have an option to maintain change information on the remote so that when someone connected that instance of EW could find out if there had been any changes and adjust accordingly.

Eventually I will get a new primary system for myself. At present, the only way for that new machine to get in sync with remote sites is by re-publishing very site I maintain. That's 67,000 files, 5GB. It will take awhile.

Will
    Baltimore, MD USA - www.fastie.com
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:07 PM
  • EW on two computers, even editing the same files in a DropBox, will have two sets of publishing metadata, I believe.

What should work is if each person first synched up with the changes already made by the other, by publishing the changed files *down*. EW will do this for you if you ask, but given that not everyone is finding EW's idenfication of changed files to be always correct or consistent, try it with care.

Otherwise you're left with sending a note to one another with a list of changed files to download before making any further edits.

And of course, all bets are off if you are both editing the same file at the same time.

• Marked as answer by Bill Pearson Thursday, April 29, 2010 10:21 PM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:39 PM
  • Thanks, all. That's what I thought; I just hadn't seen reference to editing an existing live site on two different computers (we will NOT be editing live). And we'll coordinate our editing times.

I guess I'll have to start using EW's FTP to synch changed files. I've always used third parties until now.

I dream of a better world...a world in which a chicken can cross the road without its motives being questioned.
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 10:20 PM
  • Bill, FWIW, don't feel too badly. I've mentioned an 18-month gig I did working at IBM on a large AS/400 green-screen -to-Web interface project. Well, guess what our change/version control system was? Lotus SameTime (IM platform for Notes). At least, for everybody but me and my boss. There was only a cube partition between us, so it would be, "Hey, Bob, you in common.js right now?" "Nah, working on the Obsidian side." "OK, I'm gonna grab it. I'll let you know when I'm done. Oh, BTW, I'm adding those VB-syntax string handling routines to the file." "OK."

For the rest of the team it was broadcast IMs targeting the group. Somehow, we managed to build a half-million dollar project, debug it, test it, and put it into production, with basically the equivalent of Dropbox and AIM. And believe it or not, it was serious fun. I can't recall too many jobs I've done that were more enjoyable. Just goes to show, if there's a will, you can work around anything.  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Friday, April 30, 2010 3:00 AM
  • EW will do this for you if you ask, but given that not everyone is finding EW's idenfication of changed files to be always correct or consistent, try it with care.

Yes, it's too bad we can't yet trust publishing for this task. Perhaps v4...

This only partially addresses the matter of a new PC or handing off a site. Whether publishing up or down, the entire site has to be moved in order to get EW in sync. There should be a more efficient way.

Will
    Baltimore, MD USA - www.fastie.com
    Friday, April 30, 2010 11:06 AM