Suggestions: My experience with WDP so far

General discussion

• I was pretty excited to try out Windows 8 when I heard about it, and to be honest, I still am excited about its possibilites.

First things first though. The metro UI. I was fortunate enough to have a tablet PC with a touchscreen, so I rather liked it and the touch optimized internet explorer. I read somewhere that the touch optimized internet explorer won't have Flash support...that is not a good idea. Flash is very widely used, don't restrict the program to only HTML5/those other ones. I don't want to have to switch back and forth to the regular IE to view websites with flash.

One complaint (specific to my tablet): I have difficulty preforming the offscreen to onscreen swipes to bring up the menus because of the ridge around the screen.

I can see how a user without a touchscreen would not want to ever see the new start screen. To be honest, the metro start screen is pretty inconvenient for everyday use, and makes it a lot harder to get to a list of installed programs or apps.

I think it ought to be a seperate program or start button that is pinned next to the regular start menu.

Also, there is a noted lack of gesture support, even just the back/forward swipes that I got used to in windows 7. There also isn't really a back button or gesture for exiting apps besides the sideswipe menu, which gives the impression of being limited.

Kind of on an offshoot, one thing I know I'd like to see is a touch-optimized media player that you can log into your zune account from and access the marketplace. That's the only complaint I have with the current zune program, the lack of touch support.

Back on topic. I can't really review the preformance, seeing as it's a preview, but I am glad that almost all previous windows programs work (that I've tried).

Multitasking in the metro UI is kind of difficult, it might be helped just by letting you access the regular taskbar from the start screen. Also, rework things so that there is less required switching from metro UI to desktop. It would be better if the programs worked equally well in both.

Shutting off the computer in WDP was insanely complicated and illogical. It literally took me a half an hour of looking to figure out how to do it. Why was it under Settings? Shut Down, Reboot, etc. should at least pop up on the same menu as Lock and Log Off when you tap your user icon.

All in all, I believe that if the issues and convenience problems are worked out, Windows 8 (or whatever it's going to be called) will be a success.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 12:10 AM