Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.ReportingServices.RdlObjectModel RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

We have 2 front end web servers running SSRS through SharePoint and using Network Load Balancing.

One of the servers is down so we only have 1 running at the moment.

Viewing and modifying the current reports work fine in the SharePoint Portal but if I try to upload a new report it goes in but errors when we try to run it or modify such things as datasources or subscriptiosn via sharepoint.  When we try we get the following error:-

• Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error. (rsSharePointError)
      • Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.ReportingServices.RdlObjectModel, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91'
      • or one of its dependencies. Access is denied.

I get the impression the the webserver that is down was correctly configured and keeping everything working but now that it's gone the second server is either incorrectly configured, missing something or maybe just needs to be told that it's the only one now and needs to do everything for itself.

As mentioned in fixes from other forum posts I've gone in and given the temporary asp.net folder full permissions to service account and even given all users the permission as a test but it hasn't worked.  Confusingly in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET there's a framework and framework64 and within each of them there's several versions from 1 to 3.5.

Is this a SharePoint issue or an SSRS issue?

Thanks,

CJ

• Edited by BigJeffIE Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:51 AM Name change for Security
    Friday, May 18, 2012 3:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Chris,

From your description, the issue may be caused by the insufficient permission to access the "RSTempFiles" folder. At this time, I suggest that you grant full access right to your service account on the following folder:

<Drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10_50.<InstanceName>\Reporting Services\RSTempFiles (for SQL Server 2008 R2)

<Drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.<InstanceName>\Reporting Services\RSTempFiles (for SQL Server 2008)

Additionally, for your confusion about the .NET Framework folders, I would like to explain that it indicates there are several versions of .NET Framework installed in your 64-bit operating system. 

If the issue persists, I suggest that you update the Reporting Services with SQL Server updates. For the details information about the SQL Server Versions, please see the link below:
    http://sqlserverbuilds.blogspot.com/

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Mike Yin

• Marked as answer by Mike Yin Thursday, May 24, 2012 2:50 AM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 12:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

From your description, the issue may be caused by the insufficient permission to access the "RSTempFiles" folder. At this time, I suggest that you grant full access right to your service account on the following folder:

<Drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10_50.<InstanceName>\Reporting Services\RSTempFiles (for SQL Server 2008 R2)

<Drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.<InstanceName>\Reporting Services\RSTempFiles (for SQL Server 2008)

Additionally, for your confusion about the .NET Framework folders, I would like to explain that it indicates there are several versions of .NET Framework installed in your 64-bit operating system. 

If the issue persists, I suggest that you update the Reporting Services with SQL Server updates. For the details information about the SQL Server Versions, please see the link below:
    http://sqlserverbuilds.blogspot.com/

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Mike Yin

• Marked as answer by Mike Yin Thursday, May 24, 2012 2:50 AM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 12:59 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Your answer was spot on and resolved the problem.

We are now up and running again.

Thanks very much for help, it's most appreciated.

Regards,

Chris

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 4:02 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Thanks for your feedback.

I am glad to hear that the issue has been resolved. Since my reply above helped you, I will mark it as the answer. If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,
    Mike Yin

Thursday, May 24, 2012 2:50 AM