report on number of logical processors RRS feed

• Question

• I need a reliable way to report the total number of logical processors on a system. In PowerShell, I've been using this command:

(Get-WmiObject Win32_ComputerSystem).NumberOfLogicalProcessors

This works fine on most systems, but on a system that has more than 64 logical processors and Hyper-V enabled, this command always returns 64. I am working on a Windows Server 2012 R2 x64 system that has 2 XEON 6154 processors. Each processor has 18 cores and 36 threads, so the total number of logical processors is 72.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/hardtofind/2018/01/29/windows-server-with-more-than-64-logical-processors/ provides some potentially useful information but fizzles:

• It says that coreinfo.exe (from Sysinternals) will display each processor group with asterisk representing each logical processor. But for me, it is displaying only "Group 0" with 64 asterisks.
    • It says that Performance Monitor > Processor Information will show all the logical processors. But for me, the highest processor numbers it shows are "0,31" and "1,31". This is interpreted as group 0, processors 0 through 31, and group 1, processors 0 through 31. This is still a total of 64 logical processors.

Is this system somehow misconfigured and will fail to make use of more than 64 logical processors?

Is there a way that I can get the actual number of logical processors on the system (preferably from Hyper-V)?

Monday, July 9, 2018 11:18 PM