none
Custom Message Add-In - 'design this form view' "missing" Send button RRS feed

• Question

• Hi  (all the usual disclaimers about being new to outlook development  apply to this question)...

The scenario is trying to create a new custom message form add in based on the default message with a couple of check boxes.  Using the outlook form designer seems to work quite well and following the advice of this thread;

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/vsto/thread/BFA528B8-23D5-4170-AED7-37A847829685

When you are designing your form region in Outlook, use the field chooser to drag the "To", "CC", and "Body" controls to the form etc.  This will provide all of the default functionality for those controls (You don't have add code to make those work).  

The 'Send' button among those is not available to copy (does not appear in the designer view)  - Obviously its not missing as such but what is the guidance on this? e.g Add the button programmatically etc?

Thanks

James

• Edited by Yahmez Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:04 PM
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 9:57 PM

Answers

• James, I am glad that it helped. I agree with the above what you updated - "the standard message classes are not available if the form region is designed to replace the whole form or default page of the form".

i think you may have to have a look at the refer section "Making Form region sendable" @ http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/cc513845(v=office.12).aspx and see whether it helps you to move ahead or not.

DeVa, M.S., {MSFT} Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help

• Marked as answer by Yahmez Wednesday, June 12, 2013 3:50 AM
    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:19 AM

All replies

• Hi James,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

As you can see from the below picture, send and choose account will appear on the tab if you've chose to send a custom form. You don't have to create a send button yourself.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 10:21 AM
  • Hi Quist, yes as you described in above, the custom form scenario worked fine (no problem with send button) but what I'd like clarification on is around a different Ad-In scenario (sorry if I didn't clear that up).

I'm trying to generate the region via outlook region designer (outlook 2010) then import the resulting .ofs file into VS2012.   This looks like it works correctly but i wasn't sure what the best approach was to add the the Send button.  

Below is the screen shot for the region designer (left) and the resulting add in running from outlook.

Thanks again

James

Monday, June 3, 2013 8:07 PM
  • I looked at the same at my test environment (Outlook 2010 & VS 2012) and followed the steps (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/bb608611.aspx). I presume you do the same steps?

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 6:00 PM
  • Thanks Deva.  

Thats a great link - I imported the form from an .ofs file in the replace-all mode so that the class declaration from the import wizard is 

[Microsoft.Office.Tools.Outlook.FormRegionMessageClass("IPM.Note.CncrSspcnMsg")]
            [Microsoft.Office.Tools.Outlook.FormRegionName("CncrSspcnMsg.CncrSspcnRgn")]
            public partial class CncrSspcnRgnFactory

I have not made any code changes and running the the add-in from VS2010 works fine, outlook is started, the new custom form is available (New Items/Custom Forms/CncrSspcnMsg).  It starts fine and looks good except no send button.

Another link I looked at was "Associating a Form Region with an Outlook Message Class" (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/bb157886.aspx)

I'm still digesting the info but I'm wondering if the send button is available for the 'replace all' scenario which is what I was trying to do.

"The standard message classes are not available if the form region is designed to replace the whole form or the default page of a form. You can specify standard message class names only for forms that add a new page to a form or that are appended to the bottom of a form."

Thanks 

James

• Edited by Yahmez Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:25 AM
    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:10 AM
  • James, I am glad that it helped. I agree with the above what you updated - "the standard message classes are not available if the form region is designed to replace the whole form or default page of the form".

i think you may have to have a look at the refer section "Making Form region sendable" @ http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/cc513845(v=office.12).aspx and see whether it helps you to move ahead or not.

• Marked as answer by Yahmez Wednesday, June 12, 2013 3:50 AM
    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:19 AM
  • Hi Deva -  yes that link is what i needed; I'll mark that as the answer thanks..

for anyone else reading..

"Making a Form Region Sendable"

"With Outlook 2007, the Send button has moved onto the form page itself instead of being in a toolbar or the Office Fluent Ribbon. To re-create this functionality in a form region, you need to add a command button that provides the same capability. To add a Send button to your form region, follow these steps:

1. Open the Field Chooser window.

2. From the drop-down list of field collections, select All Mail Fields.

3. Find the Submit field in the list, and drag it to your form region. A new button will be created with the label Submit."

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 3:48 AM
  • Thanks James. I am glad that the info helped you to move ahead!!

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 5:55 PM