.Net Framework 4 unrecognized by system RRS feed

• Question

• This problem has existed on my computer for some time now, but it never bothered me as it never prevented me from playing any game (which is what I mainly do on my computer).  However when I updated the Alienware Command Center of my desktop, I receive each time on startup an error message telling me that I need .Net Framework 4 to run the program (which I already have).  How can I fix that problem?  And what further info would be needed to answer, if lack of information there is?
    Monday, February 21, 2011 7:44 PM

Answers

• I cannot seem to be able to get the log.  I'm considering restoring my system, thinking C Cleaner might have deleted some files that shouldn't have been.
    • Marked as answer by Andrew.Wu Monday, March 7, 2011 12:30 PM
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 9:56 PM

All replies

• What do you have, the full .NET Framework 4.0 or the Client Profile? What is this game not finding, can you quote the error message received?

I suggest you confirm the requirement (full framework or client profile), then use this tool to verify the integrity of what you have installed:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

If you discover issues, remove the framework using add/remove programs, then clean up with this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

Then use this to reinstall .NET Framework 4.0:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a391abd-25c1-4fc0-919f-b21f31ab88b7&displaylang=en

Monday, February 21, 2011 11:13 PM
  • I have the full .NET Framework 4.0.  The error message is

"To run this application, you first must install one of the following versions of the .NET Framework:

v4.0

Contact your application publisher for instructions about obtaining the appropriate version of the .NET Framework"

The tool did find an issue, and I have now uninstalled using add/remove programs and the clean up tool.  I then reinstalled it but still the problem persists.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 1:30 AM
  • Hi Apox,

What error did you find with the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool? Would you please provide the log files?

Since your issue happens during installing the Alienware Command Center, you can also consider contact the DELL support for help: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/default.aspx

If you have any concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:32 AM
  • Here is the last part of the log file, I'm not sure how I can attach the file to my reply, if it's even possible, and copying the whole thing would be rather long.

[02/23/11,16:27:56] Section [Registry - .NET Framework 4 Full (Wow6432Node)] - stop parsing entries

[02/23/11,16:27:56] Processing custom action 'Custom Action - .NET Framework 4.0 test application'

[02/23/11,16:27:56] ExecutablePath = 'Netfx40TestApplication.exe'

[02/23/11,16:27:56] FriendlyName = '.NET Framework 4 test application'

[02/23/11,16:27:56] TimeoutSeconds = '300'

[02/23/11,16:27:56] WaitOnExit = 'true'

[02/23/11,16:27:56] Silent = 'true'

[02/23/11,16:27:56] Launching process 'Netfx40TestApplication.exe' now

[02/23/11,16:27:56] Process successfully launched. Waiting 300 seconds for it to complete.

[02/23/11,16:27:56] ****ERROR**** Process 'Netfx40TestApplication.exe' exited with return code -2146232576

[02/23/11,16:27:56] ****ERROR**** Verification failed for product .NET Framework 4 Full

While I have used the Alienware Command Center example, the same error message pops up whenever I try to update DirectX or run any program depending on .Net Framework 4.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:33 PM
  • Hi Apox,

You can upload the log file to the SkyDrive for example, and paste the link here.

If the uninstall-reinstall process not working, would you please help to collect the installation log files for me?

You can follow the steps below to collect the log files:

·         Uninstall the .NET Framework form the Add/remove programs.

·     Try to clean your "%temp%" folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%).

·         Install .NET Framework 4.0 again (with Administrator privilege).

·         Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder with the Log Collection Tool

Collect tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en

·         You can find the vslogs.cab file in the %temp% folder.
    Send the vslogs.cab file to me (E-mail:
    v-anwu@microsoft.com).

Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

To run it with Administrator privilege:

-          Make sure your user account is in Administrators group

-          Right-click the installer -> Properties -> Security tab -> add your account with Full control.

Waiting to hear from you.

Have a nice day.

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:31 AM
  • Hi Apox,

Thanks for sending me the e-mail.

I've checked the installation log files, and find the messages below:

[2/24/2011, 19:43:28]PerformOperation on exe returned exit code 2149842967 (translates to HRESULT = 0x80240017)

And:
    MSI (s) (6C:90) [19:43:30:558]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSICAB6.tmp, Entrypoint: SchedSecureObjectsRollback

Action start 19:43:30: SchedSecureObjectsRollback.

SchedSecureObjectsRollback:  Failed to store ACL rollback information with error 0x80070424 - continuing

The articles below are the common troubleshooting steps for the two error code:

Possible issue where .NET Framework 4 setup reports success but fails to update mscoree.dll behind the scenes

Error message when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates: 0x80070424

Would you please first try the steps mentioned in these articles to resolve the errors?

As the above error messages, I would provide some suggestions with you:

·         Would you please go to the Start menu -> Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features, then remove all .NET Framework 4.0 components:

-          Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended

-          Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile

-          Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Multi-Targeting Pack

·         Install the latest Windows updates from the Windows Update site: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

·         Install the .NET Framework 4.0 with Administrator privilege: right-click the installer -> Run as Administrator

·         Use the .NET Framework Verification Tool to verify you installed .NET Frameworks.

If you have any concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Friday, February 25, 2011 5:31 AM
  • I followed those steps, although Microsoft. NET Framework 4 Multi-Targeting Pack did not show in the Programs and Features list.  I then installed all updates until it asked if I wanted to install .NET Framework 4.0, which I did following the instructions, and the set up verification tool still found an issue.

Here is the link to the log file: http://rjwung.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pJjEXTBXG9sEShBX_B9R7VoE3gyztyc0NUy0q7aOfOHgOUlioguGclrsj2lniesoHAJZlJPMlw0FU8MlxObTAv1Vbojfj7GST/setupverifier_main_02-25-11_08.11.15.txt?psid=1

Friday, February 25, 2011 1:15 PM
  • Hi Apox,

I could not open the link in your post. Would you please send it to me again (v-anwu@microsoft.com)?

Thanks a lot.

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Monday, February 28, 2011 8:16 AM
  • Hi Apox,

I’ve checked the verify log file and find the error messages below:

[02/25/11,08:11:20] ***WARNING*** File C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\sbscmp20_mscorlib.dll is not installed on the system

[02/25/11,08:11:20] ***WARNING*** File C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\WPF\wpftxt_v0400.dll is not installed on the system

[02/25/11,08:11:21] ***WARNING*** File C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\WPF\WPFFontCache_v0400.exe is not installed on the system

[02/25/11,08:11:21] ***WARNING*** File C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\WPF\wpftxt_v0400.dll is not installed on the system

[02/25/11,08:11:21] Key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Client

Value: InstallPath

Actual Data:        REGISTRY VALUE FOUND

[02/25/11,08:11:21] Key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Client

Value: Servicing

Value: Version

….

According to the log files, seem like some file are missing in your system and some registry key is not set.

I understand this how bored it could be to take such a long time and repeating steps to fix this issue. However, I would ask you to try one more steps below to generate an installation log file:

-          Please go to Start menu -> Run;

-          Type the file directory of the .NET Framework installer, and add the /log <file | folder> behind the directory.
    For example, if the dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe is locate in the D partition, and you want to generate the logs in the D:\netframeworklog.txt file, you can use the statement below:
    D:\dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe /D:\netframeworklog.txt

-          Then, please send the generated log file to me again.

Also, you might consider to restore your system or perform an in-place upgrade to recover it.

For one quicker way to repair OS or restore the OS configuration to an earlier point.

Here is a KB about this, please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212/

Or if you have the original media, you can did a repair of Win7.

Thanks a lot for your collaborate.

Waiting to hear from you.

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Friday, March 4, 2011 10:35 AM
  • I cannot seem to be able to get the log.  I'm considering restoring my system, thinking C Cleaner might have deleted some files that shouldn't have been.
    • Marked as answer by Andrew.Wu Monday, March 7, 2011 12:30 PM
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 9:56 PM