none
Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime Installation failure RRS feed

• Question

• HI, 

the installation is failing with error code 1601. I researched this code but did not get any answers that would fix my problem. complete logs are pasted below. any help of this will be appreciated. 

The following properties have been set:
    Property: [AdminUser] = true {boolean}
    Property: [InstallMode] = SameSite {string}
    Property: [NTProductType] = 1 {int}
    Property: [ProcessorArchitecture] = AMD64 {string}
    Property: [VersionNT] = 6.1.1 {version}
    Running checks for package 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x86 and x64)', phase BuildList
    Reading value 'Version' of registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VSTO Runtime Setup\v4'
    Read string value '10.0.40820'
    Setting value '10.0.40820 {string}' for property 'VSTORuntimeVersionOfficeInstalled'
    Reading value 'Version' of registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VSTO Runtime Setup\v4R'
    Unable to read registry value
    Not setting value for property 'VSTORuntimeVersionInstalled'
    The following properties have been set for package 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x86 and x64)':
    Property: [VSTORuntimeVersionOfficeInstalled] = 10.0.40820 {string}
    Running checks for command 'VSTOR401\vstor_redist.exe'
    Skipping ByPassIf because Property 'VSTORuntimeVersionInstalled' was not defined
    Result of running operator 'VersionGreaterThanOrEqualTo' on property 'VSTORuntimeVersionOfficeInstalled' and value '10.0.60724': false
    Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'AdminUser' and value 'false': false
    Result of checks for command 'VSTOR401\vstor_redist.exe' is 'Install'
    'Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x86 and x64)' RunCheck result: Install Needed
    EULA for components 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x86 and x64)' was accepted.
    Copying files to temporary directory "C:\Users\rchand02\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD6BD2.tmp\"
    Copying from 'C:\Users\rchand02\Downloads\UnifyOffice_x86\VSTOR401\vstor_redist.exe' to 'C:\Users\rchand02\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD6BD2.tmp\VSTOR401\vstor_redist.exe'
    Verifying file integrity of C:\Users\rchand02\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD6BD2.tmp\VSTOR401\vstor_redist.exe
    WinVerifyTrust returned 0
    File trusted
    Running checks for package 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x86 and x64)', phase BeforePackage
    Reading value 'Version' of registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VSTO Runtime Setup\v4'
    Read string value '10.0.40820'
    Setting value '10.0.40820 {string}' for property 'VSTORuntimeVersionOfficeInstalled'
    Reading value 'Version' of registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VSTO Runtime Setup\v4R'
    Unable to read registry value
    Not setting value for property 'VSTORuntimeVersionInstalled'
    The following properties have been set for package 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x86 and x64)':
    Property: [VSTORuntimeVersionOfficeInstalled] = 10.0.40820 {string}
    Running checks for command 'VSTOR401\vstor_redist.exe'
    Skipping ByPassIf because Property 'VSTORuntimeVersionInstalled' was not defined
    Result of running operator 'VersionGreaterThanOrEqualTo' on property 'VSTORuntimeVersionOfficeInstalled' and value '10.0.60724': false
    Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'AdminUser' and value 'false': false
    Result of checks for command 'VSTOR401\vstor_redist.exe' is 'Install'
    'Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x86 and x64)' RunCheck result: Install Needed
    Verifying file integrity of C:\Users\rchand02\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD6BD2.tmp\VSTOR401\vstor_redist.exe
    WinVerifyTrust returned 0
    File trusted
    Installing using command 'C:\Users\rchand02\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD6BD2.tmp\VSTOR401\vstor_redist.exe' and parameters ' /q /norestart'
    Process exited with code 1601
    Status of package 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x86 and x64)' after install is 'InstallFailed'

Friday, May 20, 2016 2:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Ravio211,

>> the installation is failing with error code 1601

How did you install VSTO runtime? Do you download VSTO runtime package and install it manually or you pre-install VSTO runtime when you install your Office add-ins? It would be helpful if you could share us your detail steps about when and how you get this error? Based on my understanding, VSTO runtime will be installed automatically when you install Visual Studio and Microsoft Office. If you want to install VSTO runtime redistributeable, you need to be an administrator on the development computer. You could refer How to: Install the Visual Studio Tools for Office Runtime Redistributable for more information.

Based on researching about Error code 1601, the information below might be useful to you.

Error code 1061: Windows installer is not accessible generally represents the Windows Installer Service fails or becomes corrupted.

Try the following steps to fix windows installer service.

1.Restart the Windows Installer Service.

(1)Click Start, type services.msc in the search box and press Enter.

(2)Scroll down to the Windows Installer entry in the Services list and double-click it.

(3)Click the General tab and then click the Start button. Click Apply and then OK.

(4)Attempt to install vstor_redist.exe, if it doesn’t work, try next steps.

2.Reregister the Windows Installer Service

(1)Click the Start menu, type cmd in the search box and press Enter.

(2)Type msiexec /unregister at the prompt and press Enter.

(3)Type msiexec /register at the command prompt and press Enter.

(4)Log out of Windows and restart the computer.

(5)Install vstor_redist.exe. If it doesn’t work either, click here to reinstall the windows installer service.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, May 23, 2016 8:46 AM
  • Hi Edward,

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded VSTO seperately and installing it manually. am using admin ID to install. I do not need complete visual studio but just the runtime. I need this to run a custom application to work with MS excel. The installation is failing as soon as i extracts the package after accepting the terms. Installing MS silverlight also fails for some reason, so I am guessing it could be the issue with 'Windows Installer' in my PC. I have done the steps of restarting service and unreg / re-registering it but none helped. can you point me to the link that helps to re-install "windows installer" itself for windows7 64bit PC ?

thanks again for your answer

Regards
    Ravi chandran

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 7:10 PM
  • Hi Ravi,

>> I am guessing it could be the issue with 'Windows Installer' in my PC

To check whether it is related with Windows installer, I suggest you download 7-zip msi, and try to install it.

>> can you point me to the link that helps to re-install "windows installer" itself for windows7 64bit PC ?

In my above reply, I have shared how to reinstall windows installer service.

# Windows Installer 4.5 is available

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/942288

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 1:37 AM