none
Updating Data Source in connected database changes RRS feed

• Question

• I must be missing something. The only way I have found to make a change in my data source if the underlying connected database changes is to edit the data source, delete the table that changed and then drag that table from the server connection back to the data source and then have to rebuild all of my queries and relations. Is there an easier way to get the data source to recognize a change in the database?

Friday, November 9, 2007 3:34 PM

Answers

• You could always bypass the GUI and go look at the underlying project files for the connection string, then change this.  Probably would be much faster that trying to do all of the above.  Often I find myself stymied by the VS.NET gui and I thank the lucky stars that someone in VS.NET had the wisdom to start using XML for project files instead of binary.  Just make sure you backup the project somewhere in case it all goes horribly wrong (and make the change while the project and VS.NET is closed).

Then when you are finished send a scathing bug to the VS.NET team on the connect site telling them how messed up the GUI is that you can't change the database of the datasource.

Friday, November 9, 2007 6:54 PM

All replies

• You could always bypass the GUI and go look at the underlying project files for the connection string, then change this.  Probably would be much faster that trying to do all of the above.  Often I find myself stymied by the VS.NET gui and I thank the lucky stars that someone in VS.NET had the wisdom to start using XML for project files instead of binary.  Just make sure you backup the project somewhere in case it all goes horribly wrong (and make the change while the project and VS.NET is closed).

Then when you are finished send a scathing bug to the VS.NET team on the connect site telling them how messed up the GUI is that you can't change the database of the datasource.

Friday, November 9, 2007 6:54 PM
  • Matt, thanks for your response to this item. It helped me solve the problem......Jeff

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 4:45 PM