Installing Print Drivers for Win 7

Question

• Is there any good way to install an HP OfficeJet 8500A printer driver that works great under Windows 7 in Windows 8? When I run it, it says the OS is not supported. I get that, but can I get around it?
    David Howard (Howardd21)
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:31 PM

Answers

• Thanks TrekDozer.  I tried those steps, but it was a no go.  It seems that HP explicitly checks the OS version, and if it is newer than Win 7, they will not install.  The error message said it had to be Win XP SP 2, Vista, or Win 7 to install.  

In case anybody needs it,  was able to install the Brother 2170W and Samsung CLP-315 drivers with no issues. They each print well.  

David Howard (Howardd21)
    • Marked as answer by David_Howard Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:38 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 12:42 AM

All replies

• Since Windows 8 has not been released yet not all drivers are going to work with it.

Troubleshoot Compatibility

This can help with some (but not all) programs/drivers:
    1) Uninstall the program if it's already installed. Then when you install/reinstall it instead of double clicking on the install file right click it and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
    2) Then click "Try Recommended Settings" and in the next windows click "Start the Program" to install it.
    3) After it installs see if it works correctly. Please note - some programs may not be able to run in windows 7.

Install the drivers before connecting the printer to your computer. After installing connect the printer, if it’s still not recognized (this is for Windows 7):
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Install-a-printer

Try the Printer Troubleshooter

1. Open the Printer troubleshooter by clicking the Start button
    2. Then click on Control Panel
    3. In the search box, type troubleshooter
    4. Then click Troubleshooting
    5. Under Hardware and Sound, click "Use a printer"

Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:39 PM
  • Thanks TrekDozer.  I tried those steps, but it was a no go.  It seems that HP explicitly checks the OS version, and if it is newer than Win 7, they will not install.  The error message said it had to be Win XP SP 2, Vista, or Win 7 to install.  

In case anybody needs it,  was able to install the Brother 2170W and Samsung CLP-315 drivers with no issues. They each print well.  

David Howard (Howardd21)
    • Marked as answer by David_Howard Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:38 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 12:42 AM
  • One more tip in case it helps anybody, I was able to still use the HP8500A, but had to use the web print services and email the document to the printer.  But I cannot scan or print directly as I hoped. 
    David Howard (Howardd21)
    Friday, September 16, 2011 12:45 AM
  • I found a work-around that allowed me to successfully share an HP 9800 (after failing on the HP explicit check).

The details are on the following blog:

http://www.global-webnet.com/Blog/post/2011/09/20/Installing-HP-printer-on-Windows-8.aspx

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:58 PM
  • Hi David, 

Try just plugging the printer in with USB. Windows 8 comes with print class drivers that automatically support a lot of printers with a basic feature set. If you're configured to search Windows Update, Windows will also check there. 

Justin [MSFT]

Sunday, January 15, 2012 6:19 AM