none
WEC2013 custom SDK Installation issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I try to set up my tool chain.

OS on PC is Win7 Professional

Installed: VS2015 Pro

I tried to install the SDK I get from my BSP Provider and was ask to patch the msi. Worked out.

After that I was ask to install AppBuilder first, ok. I download and installed AppBuilderSetup_VS2015_v23428 without an error message. Than I tried to install the SDK again and get the same error.

Is there a chance to check the installation of the AppBuilder, or is there any other issue to solve?

With best regards

Gerhard

Gerhard

Sunday, March 20, 2016 11:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Gehard,

Application Builder should appear in your Windows Installed Applications list but I am concerned that you are confusing BSP and SDK.  At a high level, the following is true:

• The setup for Application developers is: VS, App Builder & SDK
    • The setup for Device Developers is: VS, App Builder, Platform Builder & BSP

Which are you?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Sunday, March 20, 2016 7:10 PM
  • Hi IoTGirl,

I am the first and I am newbee.

I installed VS2015 on a freh machine. Than I tried to install the SDK .msi file I get from  my BSP provider (which is different from  the HW provider). This fails.

He send me a link with a workaround. I have to install a tool called ‚orca‘ and have to patch  the .msi.

After  that, I get another error, This time the AppBuilder was missing.

I get the hint to first install the AppBuilder CD.

This worked out, at the end I see ‚Installation completed successful‘.

Unfortunately the SDK .msi still asked for  the installation of AppBuilder ….

With best regards

Gerhard

Gerhard

Sunday, March 20, 2016 7:42 PM
  • Hi Gerard,

Unfortunately you have two different toolsets in your discussion above as well as still mentioning BSP.

A. Application Builder is required for Compact 2013.

B. BSPs are only needed by Device developers.

C. Orca's is the version of tools for CE 6 & 7.

Please have your provider walk you through the exact tool set / toolsets you need for their device. If you are unable to get help from that OEM, please let me know the make, OS version and model of the device you are targeting and I will see if I can find out any details that might help.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, March 21, 2016 5:40 PM
  • Hi IoTGirl,

this were the instructions I get:

You need to install Windows Embedded Compact 2013 tools (please download Windows Embedded Compact 2013 ISO DVD from Microsoft):

1. Install Visual Studio
    2. Install Visual Studio updates (if required)
    3. Install .Net Framework
    4. Install Windows Embedded Compact 2013 tools DVD (Application Builder  and WEC2013 tools)
    5. Install AT501 SDK.

I get this after I get Errors.

First step 5 Fails and there is a Workaround, here for I needed 'orca'. See this link:

https://guruce.com/blogpost/error-installing-wec2013-sdk#comment-2391

After that I get other Errors and was adviced to install the CD like step 4. As I told you I get the list after the Troubles araises.

Now I have to install everything on a virtual Computer. After updating IE I currently install VS2015. I expect a Long night so will see what I have at morning ...

Is there any Special advice installing the CD of step 4 or just do the Default Actions?

With best regards

Gerhard

Gerhard

Monday, March 21, 2016 5:52 PM
  • Hi Gerhart,

I believe step 4 is actually:

4. Install Windows Embedded Compact 2013 tools DVD

4.a Application Builder

4.b WEC2013 XAML tools

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, March 21, 2016 6:55 PM
  • Hi IoTGirl,

correct, just found it out.

As I try to install WEC 2013 DVD, I get an error/info 'Shared Source' not found, maybe because I have an Evaluation license key entered, no idea. Hope this isn't a Show stopper.

With best regards

Gerhard

Gerhard

Monday, March 21, 2016 7:38 PM
  • Hi Gerhard,

Shared Source is only for the Compact 2013 Platform Builder installation and should not appear in an App Builder or XAML Tools installation.  This leads me to believe you are actually installing for Device Development & BSP work and not just SDK & Application Development.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, March 21, 2016 8:26 PM
  • Hi,

aha. No idea.

The whole WEC2013 stuff seems to be very confusing.

MS should take a look at Atmel & GNU tool chain, erverything clear simple and working, lastly.

I get an DVD Image called: X18-99630.ISO

No idea if this is the DVD I has to install. Maybe you can provide me a link to a correct iso Image.

With best regards

Gerhard

Gerhard

Monday, March 21, 2016 8:42 PM
  • Hi Gerhard,

That is funny! I did use the Android tool chain with the GNU compiler for a while and was so happy to get back to VS.  I guess it is just what you are used to that makes it easier or harder.  All embedded downloads should be available through the following link.

https://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/downloads.aspx

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, March 21, 2016 11:22 PM
  • Hi IoTGirl,

I start using VS from the first Moment it was available.

For low Level programming I used different C Compiler.

I started with 8080 about 1976 during school and later Z80, both Assembler, 8051 and PIC16, I have a C Compiler and a simple Editor.

Next was VB 2.0, 3.0 .. VB 6 and than VS.From step to step it was easier to get the Project ready, cause the abstraction Level raises.

But during the last years this stucks for my oppinion. You have to do soo much to get the Tools ready, lesser time to think about your Project.

Atmel do really pretty processors and a nice IDE based on VS (isolated). You connect the eval board via USB. You start the IDE, the board was recognised automatically, about 100 samples Fitting to this processor/boards and you start within minutes.

Now, WEC2013, installing this and that works, works not and after 3 days no idea when and how I can finish a 'Hello World'

So, I like VS, no matter, but around WEC2013 (and Win 10 IoT) there is lot of work to do to give the users a smooooth jump start.

((( For me it  is like opened a time capsular and were back in the 197x, fiddling around a lot to get Assembler and linker ready ...)

With best regards

Gerhard

Gerhard

Monday, March 21, 2016 11:48 PM
  • Hi,

ok, doesnt work out again.

No I heard that I have to install .net 4.5, but I can't after installing VS 2015.

Ok, back to beginning:

1.) .net 4.5

2.) VS 2015 and Update 1

3.) AppBuilder

4.) Some CD Image with WEC 2013 stuff, but no idea which exactly

5.) SDK AT-501 provided by the BSP supplier, patched with orca as told befor for what reason ever

Is there a Chance? I am near depressio.

With best regards

Gerhard

PS: After patching the file with orca I used 'save as' and another Name for the patch. Lastly I discovered that this file is 0.93MB but original is 63Mb ??????????????????

Making copy first and use 'Save' after patch, the file is still 63Mb. ?????????????????????????

Gerhard

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 10:47 AM
  • Hi IoTGirl,

strange behaviour of the MS web site you send me the link.

Using the link I get the Picture 'Strange 1.png'. Ok.

Using the link there, I get to another page 'Strange 2.png', here I get an update.

Is this maybe the Problem. I only get updates not the real product???

With best regards

Gerhard

Gerhard

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 11:02 AM
  • Hi Gerhard,

The trial and the release product are the same for Compact 2013.  This is not true for previous versions of CE, however.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 4:45 PM