none
What to do about this error. RRS feed

• Question

• All of a sudden when I Publish I get the following error in VB.Net Express 2008.

Unable to write manifest 'obj\Debug\junk1105241820.exe.manifest'. Could not load file or assembly '0 bytes loaded from System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.

What do I do about it?  I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program but get the same error.

• Moved by Min Zhu Thursday, May 26, 2011 7:05 AM framework setup question (From:Common Language Runtime)
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 12:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Lowell123,

Would you please let me know the .NET Framework version of your project?

First, you can use the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool to verify your .NET Framework. If the tool reports verify failed, you'll need to repair/reinstall the .NET Framework.

If you are using .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, you can download and install it from the link below:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/e/20e90413-712f-438c-988e-fdaa79a8ac3d/dotnetfx35.exe

Since the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is installed as system component of Windows 7, in order to reinstall/repair .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows 7, you'll need to:

1. Go to Control Panel >> Programs >> Turn Windows features on or off >> unselect the checkbox of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 >> OK.
    2. Open the Windows features window again >> reselect the checkbox of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 >> OK.

If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 9:56 AM

All replies

• If a complete reinstall of the .Net Framework doesn't help this suggests no single
    assembly is the problem. Reboot into safe mode and see if the problem still
    occurs. File-system filter drivers like the ones installed by antivirus
    programs can prevent successful file access.
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:41 AM
  • .Net installation issue. Check if all the references in your project are correct.

Alternatively if you dont have too many files in the project, you can create a new project and add the required files to this project and build. This should work.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 12:16 PM
  • Hi Lower123,

I have moved your thread to .NET Framework Setup forum where you can get better support for your question.

If your still have issues you think might related to CLR, please feel free to reply in this thread. I will still monitor your follow-up in this thread.

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Min Zhu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 7:08 AM
  • Hi Lowell123,

Would you please let me know the .NET Framework version of your project?

First, you can use the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool to verify your .NET Framework. If the tool reports verify failed, you'll need to repair/reinstall the .NET Framework.

If you are using .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, you can download and install it from the link below:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/e/20e90413-712f-438c-988e-fdaa79a8ac3d/dotnetfx35.exe

Since the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is installed as system component of Windows 7, in order to reinstall/repair .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows 7, you'll need to:

1. Go to Control Panel >> Programs >> Turn Windows features on or off >> unselect the checkbox of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 >> OK.
    2. Open the Windows features window again >> reselect the checkbox of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 >> OK.

If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 9:56 AM